Metrum Octave Dac - What are the Chips used - Page 34 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th April 2012, 04:11 PM   #331
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorstenL View Post
Actually, the true solution is to decouple the DAC's master clock from short term variations of the source clock, no matter if the source is common mode noise or any other one. In principle BTW this is quite trivial, even though in practice it is quite challenging.

Ciao T
Yes, managing an NCO, for example, to match the exact long term average frequency of the source oscillator, but at the DAC, is probably the best, but also sophisticated, solution. Such an implementation is, unfortunately, probably not an option for the more advanced diy audiophile.

Last edited by Ken Newton; 15th April 2012 at 04:16 PM.
Old 15th April 2012, 04:18 PM   #332
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Newton View Post
Yes, but even with that objective, having 150 ohms of resistance between component grounds would greatly limit ground loop current flow between those components, compared with having only the resistance of the unbalanced cable's 0-Volt conductor.
The biggest ground current flow I've measured is in the region of a few 100 uA (this at 50Hz), so I can't see how 150R would make much of a dent in that. Unless it was originating from a lowish source impedance. Mains wiring is the means of coupling CM noise between components, via interwinding capacitance of trafos.

I realise the digital sources I use are down at the lowest end of the market, and their el-cheapo SMPSUs impose some not insignificant CM currents, but these arrive having passed few a few hundred pF of (transformer) coupling capacitance at most. So source impedance tends to be quite a bit higher than 150R at the frequencies they operate at (a few 10's of kHz).
Old 15th April 2012, 04:29 PM   #333
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxalito View Post
Very definitely. Use of a single all-encompassing ground fill is not a really high-end solution. Check out the Berkeley Alpha DAC for superior grounding practice.
Well... that's weird because on the other hand you defend the technical know-how of the said designer/engineer. How that can be - is he good enginner or a bad one?
Is the same story again. Like when the Philips designers show you the appropiate use of their DAC's - with OS. You hail them for designing a good DAC, but you assume that they are completelly idiots about OS.
Quote:
but these arrive having passed few a few hundred pF of (transformer) coupling capacitance at most. So source impedance tends to be quite a bit higher than 150R at the frequencies they operate at (a few 10's of kHz).
Actually they have a parallel capacitance and resitor (for electrostatic safety) that have some 4.7...10 nF and 2...4.7 Gohm. Your argument is still valid thou.

Last edited by SoNic_real_one; 15th April 2012 at 04:33 PM.
Old 15th April 2012, 04:36 PM   #334
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNic_real_one View Post
Well... that's weird because on the other hand you defend the technical know-how of the said designer/engineer. How that can be - is he good enginner or a bad one?
I've praised his audacity in designing with a chip which isn't a mainstream audio part - that's not really defending his technical know-how is it? More recognising his creative flair and marketing aptitude. The world of engineers isn't a black and white one though, so engineers have degrees of competence.

Quote:
Is the same story again. Like when the Philips designers show you the appropiate use of their DAC's - with OS. You hail them for designing a good DAC, but you assume that they are completelly idiots about OS.
No I just claim they either didn't listen to Bitstream carefully enough or they did and have cloth ears There's nothing intrinsically wrong with OS in my estimation - its a matter of implementation. Noise-shaping is another matter entirely though. Perhaps you're dwelling too much in the world of your own polar (black vs white) thinking - get out a bit more and see how the world is a spectrum of colours?
Old 15th April 2012, 04:44 PM   #335
diyAudio Member

In my polar world I saw engineers bad of good. Doctors bad and good.
Because if a person cares about what is doing, it will teach itself in all the aspects of that job.
Missing some basic knowledge tells me that his skills are low-grade. Mainly due to not caring to be informed and I... won't trust it with nothing else that is higher level on knowledge scale.

But that's me and my experience in this world.

PS: Philips engineers decided that bitstram is good enough to spend hundreds of millions $ in developing and manufacturing. You think they are so dumb (compared with your ability) that didn't listen to their products or the are deaf (compared again to your ability). Hmm... isn't that a little too much ego showing?
I think that there are bad things about S-D but there are also bad things about MB. They know that too, that's why the present day DAC's are a combination of both. They tried 10 bit, 7 bit, now looks like they settled to some 4 bit.

Last edited by SoNic_real_one; 15th April 2012 at 04:49 PM.
Old 15th April 2012, 04:48 PM   #336
diyAudio Member

Well in my estimation he got a working DAC out the door and its receiving rave reviews across the board. That's not 'low-grade' - his PCB layout skills could definitely be improved but then again he's not selling this DAC in the high-end marketplace. So perhaps he wanted to keep something in reserve for his upcoming v2.0 at a high-end price-point?
Old 15th April 2012, 04:52 PM   #337
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The biggest ground current flow I've measured is in the region of a few 100 uA (this at 50Hz), so I can't see how 150R would make much of a dent in that. Unless it was originating from a lowish source impedance. Mains wiring is the means of coupling CM noise between components, via interwinding capacitance of trafos.

I realise the digital sources I use are down at the lowest end of the market, and their el-cheapo SMPSUs impose some not insignificant CM currents, but these arrive having passed few a few hundred pF of (transformer) coupling capacitance at most. So source impedance tends to be quite a bit higher than 150R at the frequencies they operate at (a few 10's of kHz).
I'm not sure that I exactly follow which CM currents you believe need to be suppressed on the 0V line? Are you only refering to SMPS induced high-frequency reactance? Most practical size CM filters do nothing at lower frequencies, such as 50Hz. Balancing an unbalanced input seems the most practical and least inexpensive means of improving CMRR via a transformer coupled input, especially at low freqiencies. Perhaps, I'm failing to understand your concern?

Last edited by Ken Newton; 15th April 2012 at 04:59 PM.
Old 15th April 2012, 04:52 PM   #338
diyAudio Member

Quote:
That's not 'low-grade' - his PCB layout skills could definitely be improved but then again he's not selling this DAC in the high-end marketplace. So perhaps he wanted to keep something in reserve for his upcoming v2.0 at a high-end price-point?
Or... you are wrong about the grounding
Old 15th April 2012, 05:00 PM   #339
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Newton View Post
I'm not sure that I exactly follow which CM currents you believe need to be suppressed on the 0V line? Are you only refering to SMPS induced reactance?
Any currents which impose voltage drops between notionally identical 0V reference points in the circuit. SMPSUs are the main source, but the digital logic inside a transport can add much higher frequencies to the SMPSU payload, albeit at a lower amplitude. Then there's the possibility that external devices on the mains (like LCD TVs with their large CCFL SMPSUs) might impose more crud. We'd ideally not want any of this stuff to make its way between the 0V points of the design via coupling through the SPDIF input.
Old 15th April 2012, 05:10 PM   #340
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Well in my estimation he got a working DAC out the door and its receiving rave reviews across the board. That's not 'low-grade' - his PCB layout skills could definitely be improved but then again he's not selling this DAC in the high-end marketplace. So perhaps he wanted to keep something in reserve for his upcoming v2.0 at a high-end price-point?
Not to mention that if he is the one-man shop I've seen reported, he's unlikely be an expert at all facets of product design, development, and production. Too much to expect of one person, I should think.

Hide this!Advertise here!