Metrum Octave Dac - What are the Chips used - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th March 2012, 10:16 AM   #21
diyAudio Member

PCM61/AD1860 (18 bit) is not that expensive as the PCM63 or latter...

Last edited by SoNic_real_one; 24th March 2012 at 10:19 AM.
Old 24th March 2012, 10:19 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
!8bits is definitely a step in the right direction, but its not quite hi-res is it? PCM1702 makes the grade for me but even that's around $5 out here whereas 16 TDA1545s comes in about the same price and give oodles more I-out
Old 24th March 2012, 10:25 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

THD+N is similar between PCM61/AD1860 (with adjustment) and PCM1702/AD1862 (if you don't count on getting -K grades that I found out that is almost impossible today).
As for the -88dB of TDA1545 - you know that I have a different view of that compared with you
Old 24th March 2012, 10:29 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
Yeah I know, I know - you're a more numbers guy than me. But you're getting there... I reckon paralleling the 1545s improves that figure but I can't measure it because my I/V stage distorts considerably more than -88dB
Old 24th March 2012, 11:48 AM   #25
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

ahh lol, i knew i'd seen that somewhere, ive only been looking at the AKMs really this week and its more the AK4399 that interests me anyway, but in scanning them for you I didnt pic up on that line, just the title and the body text; so sorry about that ha. me i dont care all that much, its the external reference and OSF that has me most interested.
Old 24th March 2012, 11:53 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxalito View Post
Yep - I'm holding out that my transversal filter idea will help to circumvent the 16 bit limitation of the available multi-bit DACs. Coz otherwise we're severely limited in choices of parts for getting that NOS sound we all love in hi-res...
I guess just before you finish your quest the unobtainium ARDA TECH AT1401 will come to reality

doh, just checked that too, nope its DS multibit too
Old 24th March 2012, 02:58 PM   #27
Account disabled at member's request

This is one nice example of a hijacked thread!
Bencat asked, post number 1, if someone owns the Metrum Dac, and if the used chips could be identified.
No replies however until now but off topic reactions from members (even moderators - Planet 10 are you there??) who hijack the thread by suggesting their own (and of course better) options.... no wonder that Bencat is silent since post #1...
Well, I own this dac, and it is indeed a great sounding one as well.
Together with a friend (who also bought one in the meantime) we compared this Dac to a number of over- and or upsampling current output based dacs (BurrBrown), and delta sigma based dacs (AD1955).
The Metrum Dac sounds (at least to our ears) more natural, more dynamic.
I am not so much interested in "why": wether it is because it is non oversampling, or because it can do without an analog output stage.
Cees, the designer, has put quite some energy in designing this dac, and the fact that he did not apply socalled "audio" chips to reach his design goals might confirm his open minded-ness and quality as an engineer.
I understand and respect his decision to remove the part numbers of the chips; there is already enough intellectual theft going on, and I sincerely hope that the so called DIY audio community will never be able to identify the chips.
Old 24th March 2012, 03:24 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

I (naturally enough) don't quite see the thread the same way. Seeing as the designer (as quoted in 6moons) says this DAC is good for 24bits, its only fair to expose that little charade to potential buyers who happen upon this thread. That's not to say that the Octave isn't a great performer subjectively (which is what matters, ultimately). My view is Cees should be charging more (to allow him to invest in R&D for its successor) as plenty of reviews are saying it punches above its weight in the current market.
Old 24th March 2012, 03:31 PM   #29
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxalito View Post
My view is Cees should be charging more (to allow him to invest in R&D for its successor) as plenty of reviews are saying it punches above its weight in the current market.
As far as I know Cees is working on a more expensive dac, which, among other things, features more than the one input of the Octave (I'm not counting the optical input..).
The Octave should best be considered as an upgrade to a CDP.
Old 24th March 2012, 05:59 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam Lin View Post
Actually, it is comparable to the TDA1543.
THD -75dB vs. -72dB
SNR 96dB vs. 108dB
Settling time .5us vs. 1us
didnt see this..erm i think you took the wrong meaning. the TDA is an audio dac from many moons ago, the dac in question here is a modern industrial high bandwidth, high output dac without any audio input formats, or any of the trimmings and needs custom hardware and software to make it work for audio.

ie. not even close.

a cheetah can reach 100km/h in a matter of a few seconds, as can a Corvette.. does this make them the same?

Hide this!Advertise here!