Anyone tried this Ebay dac?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Last edited:
I have made purchases from this seller earlier - the average stuff from CN, seller himself ships well packed and the items are as described. If you are thinking about the kit as a source of PCB and DAC chip (circa 15 eur from Farnell) , may be OK purchase. Have not built / purchased the exact lot myself however.

Yeah i will report back!! Yeah i was kinda bumed that it only had usb 2704.. You think its posible to change it out with 2706? or are there anything newer?

There are many newer USB chips that breaks that traditional USB 16bit/48Khz barrier : TE7022, CM6610 etc. But mostly they're available as USB input kit, not as a complete DAC kit (except hifimediy's CS4398 kit with TE7022). I uses TE7022 and on my system (and to my ear) it sounds better than coax.

Check the picture on this : eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

There's 2 empty pads behind the pulse transformer. Perhaps that's the way to connect the USB module to the main board. If that's the case it will be able to accept the Tenor board without any modification.
When you receive the board pls check where the USB module connects to the main board.

Will do :) Might take some time,as i live in norway and takes time getting things from ebay! But il'e get back to you once i get it!

But dont we have to make som changes to the Tenor board? since its originaly usb to coax?

EDIT: Found the same dac from another seller! You can see on the last picture that it goes a wire from the usb board down into the 2 holes!! http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Assembled-WM8741-DAC-Board-CS8421-Up-Sampling-Support-Coaxial-optical-USB-input-/120870246910?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c246d99fe

Last edited:
Whats I2S Good for?

S/PDIF uses one signal for the data and clock (one wire plus ground). I2S splits that all out into bit clock, left/right (word) clock, data and sometimes more (at least 3 wires plus ground).

I2S is generally preferred within devices since the clocks are given and don't have to be "decoded" from the signal like with S/PDIF.

Consider a DAC like the one you purchased. The PCM2704 converts the USB audio data to S/PDIF, then the DIR9001 converts from S/PDIF to I2S, then the WM8741 converts the I2S to analogue. If it used a PCM2706, it wouldn't need to convert to S/PDIF, and the DIR9001 would be unnecessary (for the USB input).

What the DIR9001 adds that the PCM2706 can't do is S/PDIF (and optical) input at 24bit. The PCM2706 can do S/PDIF (and optical) at only 16-bit.

Ugh, both the PCM2704 board and Lars Audio board are typical of EBAY (Made in PRC). The board layout is terrible - decoupling, grounding, routing. It looks like the only thought was for placement to suit the eyes (nice tidy lines of parts) rather than for the electronics.

But hey, it's not expensive and if you like the sound, go for it.

Will do :) Might take some time,as i live in norway and takes time getting things from ebay! But il'e get back to you once i get it!

But dont we have to make som changes to the Tenor board? since its originaly usb to coax?

EDIT: Found the same dac from another seller! You can see on the last picture that it goes a wire from the usb board down into the 2 holes!! Assembled WM8741 DAC Board CS8421 Up-Sampling -Support Coaxial optical USB input | eBay

The only mod on the Tenor board is to replace the RCA with wires that goes straight to the 2 empty pad on the DAC board. I'm testing the Tenor board, I'll let you know the result.

Ugh, both the PCM2704 board and Lars Audio board are typical of EBAY (Made in PRC). The board layout is terrible - decoupling, grounding, routing. It looks like the only thought was for placement to suit the eyes (nice tidy lines of parts) rather than for the electronics.

But hey, it's not expensive and if you like the sound, go for it.

That's what matters :D
BTW, some chinese boards are not that bad. I read somewhere that the famous Gigawork CS4398 DAC (there's a huge thread about it here) was used by Decware for one of their product (with some mods here and there).

I bought one of the OP referenced DACs... cheap enough, eh? I thought to myself there are maybe 4 versions all similar to this one, I should blow $250 and have 4 DAC boards and see if any of them sound worth a darn! If one does, not bad, a good sounding DAC for $250 bux!

But hey I will get that one in a couple of weeks and turn it on, see what it does!

It will either sound good or like doggie poop I expect. The seller was supposed to email me a schematic - no sign of it yet. Maybe it will be in the box. I hope.

Should I get it up and running I shall report back to the mother ship. :D

_-_-bear

BTW, some chinese boards are not that bad. I read somewhere that the famous Gigawork CS4398 DAC (there's a huge thread about it here) was used by Decware for one of their product (with some mods here and there).

yes, and they were universally criticized and ridiculed for that decision; supporting all chips on adapter PCBs + pinheaders is just one major problem with these layouts that cannot be overcome with mods

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.