Anyone tried this Ebay dac?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
true that, certainly a decent base for experimentation without breaking the bank, but some of the money people put into modding these things is ridiculous! buying a 50 dollar fatally flawed ebay dac and putting over 1500usd into Duelund output caps alone is just one of the stupid things ive seen in the ebay dac threads. I'm not suggesting you would do such a thing.

one thing to keep in mind though, is often the parts are fake or reclaimed from junk PCBs, so comparing to new value parts for a value for money comparison is a bit complicated.

the threads for some of these dacs are a great source of comedy, i'm sure you'll enjoy it :D

just watch out for lifted traces

true that, certainly a decent base for experimentation without breaking the bank, but some of the money people put into modding these things is ridiculous! buying a 50 dollar fatally flawed ebay dac and putting over 1500usd into Duelund output caps alone is just one of the stupid things ive seen in the ebay dac threads. I'm not suggesting you would do such a thing.

one thing to keep in mind though, is often the parts are fake or reclaimed from junk PCBs, so comparing to new value parts for a value for money comparison is a bit complicated.

the threads for some of these dacs are a great source of comedy, i'm sure you'll enjoy it :D

just watch out for lifted traces

Fortunately, I'm not one of those who did such ridiculous things (perhaps because I cannot afford them :bawling: ). For me these cheap chinese stuffs can be used as learning / experimenting media before try out more serious (and pricey) stuffs (I'll aim that Buffalo III DAC someday). If it breaks, just let it go without too much sorry.

And so far never experienced any lifted trace.

nah faking dacs that actually worked would cost more than its worth, no i mean things like opamps, maybe regulators, some semis; caps..caps...caps but moreso reclaimed stuff as thats a big deal over there these days as the tech is old enough now to be in gear thats being thrown out or hasnt sold so is being written off etc.

i2k92 Have you testet the tenor board? cause i was thinking of buying it now so that i had it when i recived my dac :D

Works as advertized. Auto detected by Windows. Powered by usb, I cannot detect yet any sonic difference with usb input of my hifimediy dac which also has tenor but with much simpler circutry around the usb chip. Compared to coax, tenor sounds better which I suspect is due to the use of kernel sreaming mode over usb by the software player (jplay).

Will test with external power and see if it can be improved.

So today i got the DAC board!! But cant test it before i get the R-core transformer! Looks good so far, very good soldering.

And yes its only 2 pins comming down from the USB board, so it will be easy to change it for the tenor board! (wich should be here soon!)

As with the empty holes next to the WM8741 chip. i have No idea!

I have atteched some photoes for you to see.. If you want any other upclose pictures. Just tell me and i will upload!
IMG_4540.JPG

IMG_4541.JPG

IMG_4542.JPG

IMG_4543.JPG

IMG_4544.JPG

IMG_4545.JPG

So i have been going over the board now, all the solderings etc etc.

And i found to empty holes( supposed to be empty from the ebay photos), one that says 10k and another that says S9014 ive attached a photo below. with marking!

Do you know what these are?.. And what their purpose would be? PLease can someone easy my curiosity :p

EDIT S9014.jpg

The 10k resistor looks like is controlling the base of the transistor S9014.
Cannot see where is comming from in that angle, or what the transistor was supposed to do (on the other side of the board).
The connectors are probably for a different analog stage - maybe discrete components (HDAM clones are popular with chinese builders).

Last edited:
The 10k resistor looks like is controlling the base of the transistor S9014.
Cannot see where is comming from in that angle, or what the transistor was supposed to do (on the other side of the board).
The connectors are probably for a different analog stage - maybe discrete components (HDAM clones are popular with chinese builders).

I have taken som new photos, maby you can see it now. Jepp it might be for a Hdam.. the pinns are right for it...
The 10K is comming out of the CR9001 chip.

IMG_4546.JPG

IMG_4547.JPG

IMG_4548.JPG

Last edited:
Solviken, thanks for the photos. Now I'm sure that it can be modified easily to accept other analog output stage.

i2k92, maybe tenor have better jitter reduction than spdif chip?

I'm not sure but I think the tenor sounds better because my software can access the USB port using kernel streaming protocol which is generally known to be better than Wasapi used by my PC onboard coax output.

That resistor comes out from "error" pin of SPDIF receiver - probably will "mute" on error the HDAM module, if installed. The associated (missing) transistor has the emitter connecter to GND so it will be pulled "low" when DIR9001 is not locked on signal. The picture of the reverse side of the board is still missing, so is not telling where the collector pin is going.

Last edited:
So i contacted the seller on ebay, and he explaind all the free pinns:) the 6 holes on each side of Wm8741 is for upgrading the dac with another WM8741 chip, and the 10k and S9014 is needed for this operation.

But my question will there be any improvment of upgrading to one more WM8741 chip?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.