Anyone tried this Ebay dac? - Page 7 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th April 2012, 10:34 PM   #61
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by solviken View Post
hehe Thats the First thing i thought of! So its not that! But should it go in theory? from coax out to USB in?
I did not understand your question. The Tenor board is used to convert USB to coaxal. Consequently you must the Tenor board by USB cable to PC and coaxial output of that board to coaxial input of the DAC board. PC must automatically recognize it as USB audio device. Perhaps you will need to set this audio device as default audio device.
Old 18th April 2012, 10:59 PM   #62
diyAudio Member

Th idea what was presented by someone in the start of this thread was that i remove the Coaxial on the Tenor board, and then remove the old 2706 usb card from the dac and where that was connected, connect the Coaxial to the USB in on the dac board!
Old 19th April 2012, 12:16 AM   #63
diyAudio Member

So i tried every output on that Tenor board, and could not get sound from it through the USB input on the board!

BUT since im gonna use this tenor board i soldered it to the Coaxial input on the DAC. Its the only Solution i can come up with right now, and it works!
So im gonna use the dac for a day know, and then i will comment on how it sounds
Old 19th April 2012, 10:53 AM   #64
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Th idea what was presented by someone in the start of this thread was that i remove the Coaxial on the Tenor board, and then remove the old 2706 usb card from the dac and where that was connected, connect the Coaxial to the USB in on the dac board!
OK, I understood that idea. It might work. If for any reason it doesn't then you can continue to use the Tenor board via coaxial input of the DAC board.

I am very much interested in your report of sound quality via this Tenor board. Can you compare sound of FLAC files with different resolution (16bit/41.4kHz with FLAC 24/96kHz)?
I can provide to you some files for that comparison in case if you don't have it.
Old 19th April 2012, 08:26 PM   #65
diyAudio Member

I do have Some tracks, but im very interested in the files you have!
Old 23rd April 2012, 07:18 PM   #66
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I do have Some tracks, but im very interested in the files you have!
Hi Solviken. I have many SACDs digitally ripped, but due to very limited upload bandwidth I can share only a few tracks. I uploaded here The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra.rar ??????? ? ?????@Mail.Ru 2 tracks of The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra playing Bond themes. In the archive file there are 2 tracks in CD quality and the same tracks in 24bit/96kHz. Would you please compare sound quality?

By the way I have tried to play 24bit/192kHz tracks and surprisingly this DAC played them without any problem although DIR9001 reciever can accept up to 96kHz. I don't have explanation of that, but it is good.

I have tried this DAC with UTC A-20 transformers connected via 220R to WM8741 outputs, but I like more sound coming from its LPF equipped with LME49720 OPAs

How do you like sound of this DAC? I love it!
Old 24th April 2012, 02:09 AM   #67
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

I am unable to do any audio for a while, so no results from my side, no time to swap opamps, etc...

He did finally send me a copy of the schematic...

...hope to get a change to play with it some more soon...

_-_-bear
Old 24th April 2012, 05:49 AM   #68
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear View Post
I am unable to do any audio for a while, so no results from my side, no time to swap opamps, etc...

He did finally send me a copy of the schematic...

...hope to get a change to play with it some more soon...

_-_-bear
Hi,
I am kindly asking you send me schematic diagram to my email box valeri.vinnikov@gmail.com many thanks in advance
Old 24th April 2012, 10:10 AM   #69
i2k92 is offline i2k92  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valeri100 View Post
Hi Solviken. I have many SACDs digitally ripped, but due to very limited upload bandwidth I can share only a few tracks. I uploaded here The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra.rar ??????? ? ?????@Mail.Ru 2 tracks of The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra playing Bond themes. In the archive file there are 2 tracks in CD quality and the same tracks in 24bit/96kHz. Would you please compare sound quality?

By the way I have tried to play 24bit/192kHz tracks and surprisingly this DAC played them without any problem although DIR9001 reciever can accept up to 96kHz. I don't have explanation of that, but it is good.

I have tried this DAC with UTC A-20 transformers connected via 220R to WM8741 outputs, but I like more sound coming from its LPF equipped with LME49720 OPAs

How do you like sound of this DAC? I love it!
Perhaps your sound card or player software downsampled the 24/192 materials into 24/96 ? So it can be accepted by DIR9001.

I have Tenor chip on other DAC and I use Jplay as my music player software with Win 7. In my opinion the USB input with Tenor sounds better than the spdif input (with DIR9001) on the same DAC. Perhaps it is not because the hardware but because with USB, Jplay uses kernel streaming mode versus Wasapi with spdif. I'll try to compare your standard vs hi-res file.

What I want to say is that in PC based music system not only the chips matters, the way the music player software communicates with the interface is also very important.
Old 24th April 2012, 12:52 PM   #70
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by i2k92 View Post
Perhaps your sound card or player software downsampled the 24/192 materials into 24/96 ? So it can be accepted by DIR9001.
Thanks for the replay. I use Western Digital Player with option "Digital Pass through via Optical output". In my opinion it must Not do any downsampling with this option, but who knows what it really does? I have to check it somehow. Do you know a method to check it out? Perhaps with oscilloscope connected to a pin of DIR9001

Quote:
Originally Posted by i2k92 View Post
I'll try to compare your standard vs hi-res file.
Thank you very much in advance.

Hide this!Advertise here!