Anyone tried this Ebay dac? - Page 6 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd April 2012, 02:03 AM   #51
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

I will change the chips next time I get some time to muck about... would be cool if just the chips made it turn into equal or similar to my main DAC...

Shipping from China is always an unknown... mine came within the expected time. Sometimes it never comes - there is some fellow somewhere with a TON of stuff, eh?

_-_-bear
Old 16th April 2012, 01:04 PM   #52
Guten is offline Guten  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Default Finnished?

How is it going? I'm qurious, how doses it sound? I am up to get a dac myself and not decided whitch one yet.
Old 18th April 2012, 07:18 AM   #53
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear View Post
For clarity,

the seller is "zoe_tsang" on ebay

below are pix of the board.
mine was slightly different, no trimmers for one thing,
and mine is V2.0

he did not include the schematic despite several requests.

the ebay links others have posted, over time will go away and not be viewable any longer.

Upper left in the bottom side pix is the input chip that ran into the spacer...
oh, the two vregs upper right on top side run a bit hot, will need heatsinks...

_-_-bear
Schematic attached ...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf WM8740 DAC Sch.pdf (160.2 KB, 101 views)
Old 18th April 2012, 01:01 PM   #54
diyAudio Member

Sorry for the wait Im im nearly DONE! Gonna be finished by the end of today! Will be posting some HD pictures too

I have tried listening to it just a little, and i must say it sounds good. But i will come more back to that when i have really testet it when im 100% done!
Old 18th April 2012, 01:56 PM   #55
Pemo is offline Pemo  Mexico
diyAudio Member

Talking Tenor 7022

Quote:
Originally Posted by solviken View Post
Sorry for the wait Im im nearly DONE! Gonna be finished by the end of today! Will be posting some HD pictures too

I have tried listening to it just a little, and i must say it sounds good. But i will come more back to that when i have really testet it when im 100% done!
Please, don't forget pictures of how you connected the Tenor 7022 board to the DAC.

Thanks

PEMO
Old 18th April 2012, 07:01 PM   #56
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guten View Post
How is it going? I'm qurious, how doses it sound? I am up to get a dac myself and not decided whitch one yet.
This DAC sounds excellent!!!
But I must mention that at the beginning I had problem with it. The DAC worked from very beginning, sound was not bad but not as good as I expected. This is my second Chinese DAC which I bought for one of my friends being extremely happy with well known CS8416+CS4398+CS8421 DAC. When I connected oscilloscope and had a look at sinus signal coming out of this DAC I was shocked. This is how it looked like.
Click the image to open in full size.
I did not had schematic because seller did not have it either. After looking at signal coming out of Vout of both channels of the WM8741 I guessed that digital part of DAC works properly and something must be wrong power supply of analogue part of the chip. It was impossible to put oscilloscope probe on chip pins due to their size and I decided re-solder all components which were on the way to those pins. Doing that I was wondering how it will sound after problem elimination. Finally the job I did helped and signal shape become as real sinus. Sound quality very much improved. After a week of intensive listening I modified the DAC by connecting transformers Monacor LTR-100 via 220R to WM8741 Vout. With new Monacor transformers sound become slightly better than with my favorite OPA LME49720 which I put in the DAC in at the first day.

Today I made sound comparison of these 2 Chinese DACs. Outputs of both DACs were connected to separate inputs of a very good tube 300B SET amplifier. DAC inputs were interconnected together and connected to PC via coax cable.

Click the image to open in full size.

I was playing different kind of music using high quality recordings including 24bit/96kHz SACD rips with Foobar2000 and doing amplifier input switchover with remote control. Signal level from CS4398 based DAC was perhaps 2-3% higher than from WM8741 based one. Sound quality of the CS4398 based DAC was also slightly better. Most probably just because transformers in that DAC (UTC A-20) are better than Monacors. After 3 hours of doing A-B test I can conclude that either both DACs provide near the same outstanding sound quality or my old ears are not able distinguish the difference.

Build quality of CS4398 based DAC is sufficiently better than the 8741 based one. PCB quality is superb. I do not like PCB quality of the 8741. Obviously not good PCB quality or bad soldering caused the problem I described above.
Old 18th April 2012, 09:12 PM   #57
Guten is offline Guten  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Anyone compared the sound with any other dac's? Like Cambridge Dacmagic 100 or simular.
Old 18th April 2012, 09:35 PM   #58
diyAudio Member

So i tried connecting the Tenor board from the Rca out to USB in one the DAc board.. Got No sound... hmm.. i need to test more tomorrow! I will report back!

Valeri100, on my dac the components seem to be Soldered good, is there anyway an amature like me can see if its soldered bad?

Last edited by solviken; 18th April 2012 at 09:37 PM.
Old 18th April 2012, 10:02 PM   #59
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by solviken View Post
So i tried connecting the Tenor board from the Rca out to USB in one the DAc board.. Got No sound... hmm..
Perhaps you have forgotten switch input to coaxial by pressing twice small button on the small board connected by flat cable. I noticed each time you turn on the DAC, input selector switches to optical input.
Old 18th April 2012, 10:12 PM   #60
diyAudio Member

hehe Thats the First thing i thought of! So its not that! But should it go in theory? from coax out to USB in?

Hide this!Advertise here!