Anyone tried this Ebay dac? - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th March 2012, 04:13 AM   #21
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

true that, certainly a decent base for experimentation without breaking the bank, but some of the money people put into modding these things is ridiculous! buying a 50 dollar fatally flawed ebay dac and putting over 1500usd into Duelund output caps alone is just one of the stupid things ive seen in the ebay dac threads. I'm not suggesting you would do such a thing.

one thing to keep in mind though, is often the parts are fake or reclaimed from junk PCBs, so comparing to new value parts for a value for money comparison is a bit complicated.

the threads for some of these dacs are a great source of comedy, i'm sure you'll enjoy it

just watch out for lifted traces
Old 7th March 2012, 11:18 AM   #22
i2k92 is offline i2k92  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
true that, certainly a decent base for experimentation without breaking the bank, but some of the money people put into modding these things is ridiculous! buying a 50 dollar fatally flawed ebay dac and putting over 1500usd into Duelund output caps alone is just one of the stupid things ive seen in the ebay dac threads. I'm not suggesting you would do such a thing.

one thing to keep in mind though, is often the parts are fake or reclaimed from junk PCBs, so comparing to new value parts for a value for money comparison is a bit complicated.

the threads for some of these dacs are a great source of comedy, i'm sure you'll enjoy it

just watch out for lifted traces
Fortunately, I'm not one of those who did such ridiculous things (perhaps because I cannot afford them ). For me these cheap chinese stuffs can be used as learning / experimenting media before try out more serious (and pricey) stuffs (I'll aim that Buffalo III DAC someday). If it breaks, just let it go without too much sorry.

And so far never experienced any lifted trace.
Old 7th March 2012, 02:22 PM   #23
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

faked ICs?? like DACs? cheap dac dies in packages with false imprinting? Hmmmm...

That would bum my space.

_-_-bear
Old 7th March 2012, 02:39 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

nah faking dacs that actually worked would cost more than its worth, no i mean things like opamps, maybe regulators, some semis; caps..caps...caps but moreso reclaimed stuff as thats a big deal over there these days as the tech is old enough now to be in gear thats being thrown out or hasnt sold so is being written off etc.
Old 9th March 2012, 09:04 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

i2k92 Have you testet the tenor board? cause i was thinking of buying it now so that i had it when i recived my dac
Old 9th March 2012, 04:17 PM   #26
i2k92 is offline i2k92  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by solviken View Post
i2k92 Have you testet the tenor board? cause i was thinking of buying it now so that i had it when i recived my dac
Works as advertized. Auto detected by Windows. Powered by usb, I cannot detect yet any sonic difference with usb input of my hifimediy dac which also has tenor but with much simpler circutry around the usb chip. Compared to coax, tenor sounds better which I suspect is due to the use of kernel sreaming mode over usb by the software player (jplay).

Will test with external power and see if it can be improved.
Old 9th March 2012, 06:08 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

i2k92, maybe tenor have better jitter reduction than spdif chip?
Old 15th March 2012, 02:35 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

So today i got the DAC board!! But cant test it before i get the R-core transformer! Looks good so far, very good soldering.

And yes its only 2 pins comming down from the USB board, so it will be easy to change it for the tenor board! (wich should be here soon!)

As with the empty holes next to the WM8741 chip. i have No idea!

I have atteched some photoes for you to see.. If you want any other upclose pictures. Just tell me and i will upload!
IMG_4540.JPG

IMG_4541.JPG

IMG_4542.JPG

IMG_4543.JPG

IMG_4544.JPG

IMG_4545.JPG
Old 15th March 2012, 03:17 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

As you can see in the image, the empty holes on each side of WM8741 is connected with the outflow from the chip. Maby some kind of opamp? but havent seen one with that shape!
Old 15th March 2012, 04:05 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

just easy connection to the dac i think so you can try different analogue output stages

Hide this!Advertise here!