Anyone tried this Ebay dac? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2012, 11:13 AM   #11
i2k92 is offline i2k92  Indonesia
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Indonesia
Check the picture on this : eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

There's 2 empty pads behind the pulse transformer. Perhaps that's the way to connect the USB module to the main board. If that's the case it will be able to accept the Tenor board without any modification.
When you receive the board pls check where the USB module connects to the main board.
  Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2012, 02:28 PM   #12
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by i2k92 View Post
Check the picture on this : eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

There's 2 empty pads behind the pulse transformer. Perhaps that's the way to connect the USB module to the main board. If that's the case it will be able to accept the Tenor board without any modification.
When you receive the board pls check where the USB module connects to the main board.
Will do Might take some time,as i live in norway and takes time getting things from ebay! But il'e get back to you once i get it!

But dont we have to make som changes to the Tenor board? since its originaly usb to coax?

EDIT: Found the same dac from another seller! You can see on the last picture that it goes a wire from the usb board down into the 2 holes!! http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Assembled-...item1c246d99fe

Last edited by solviken; 5th March 2012 at 02:44 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2012, 03:33 PM   #13
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by solviken View Post
Whats I2S Good for?
S/PDIF uses one signal for the data and clock (one wire plus ground). I2S splits that all out into bit clock, left/right (word) clock, data and sometimes more (at least 3 wires plus ground).

I2S is generally preferred within devices since the clocks are given and don't have to be "decoded" from the signal like with S/PDIF.

Consider a DAC like the one you purchased. The PCM2704 converts the USB audio data to S/PDIF, then the DIR9001 converts from S/PDIF to I2S, then the WM8741 converts the I2S to analogue. If it used a PCM2706, it wouldn't need to convert to S/PDIF, and the DIR9001 would be unnecessary (for the USB input).

What the DIR9001 adds that the PCM2706 can't do is S/PDIF (and optical) input at 24bit. The PCM2706 can do S/PDIF (and optical) at only 16-bit.
__________________
Tyler
  Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2012, 03:57 PM   #14
Arius is offline Arius  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: California
Ugh, both the PCM2704 board and Lars Audio board are typical of EBAY (Made in PRC). The board layout is terrible - decoupling, grounding, routing. It looks like the only thought was for placement to suit the eyes (nice tidy lines of parts) rather than for the electronics.

But hey, it's not expensive and if you like the sound, go for it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2012, 09:48 PM   #15
i2k92 is offline i2k92  Indonesia
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Indonesia
Quote:
Originally Posted by solviken View Post
Will do Might take some time,as i live in norway and takes time getting things from ebay! But il'e get back to you once i get it!

But dont we have to make som changes to the Tenor board? since its originaly usb to coax?

EDIT: Found the same dac from another seller! You can see on the last picture that it goes a wire from the usb board down into the 2 holes!! Assembled WM8741 DAC Board CS8421 Up-Sampling -Support Coaxial optical USB input | eBay
The only mod on the Tenor board is to replace the RCA with wires that goes straight to the 2 empty pad on the DAC board. I'm testing the Tenor board, I'll let you know the result.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arius View Post
Ugh, both the PCM2704 board and Lars Audio board are typical of EBAY (Made in PRC). The board layout is terrible - decoupling, grounding, routing. It looks like the only thought was for placement to suit the eyes (nice tidy lines of parts) rather than for the electronics.

But hey, it's not expensive and if you like the sound, go for it.
That's what matters
BTW, some chinese boards are not that bad. I read somewhere that the famous Gigawork CS4398 DAC (there's a huge thread about it here) was used by Decware for one of their product (with some mods here and there).
  Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2012, 12:54 AM   #16
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member
 
bear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: New York State USA
I bought one of the OP referenced DACs... cheap enough, eh? I thought to myself there are maybe 4 versions all similar to this one, I should blow $250 and have 4 DAC boards and see if any of them sound worth a darn! If one does, not bad, a good sounding DAC for $250 bux!

But hey I will get that one in a couple of weeks and turn it on, see what it does!

It will either sound good or like doggie poop I expect. The seller was supposed to email me a schematic - no sign of it yet. Maybe it will be in the box. I hope.

Should I get it up and running I shall report back to the mother ship.

_-_-bear
__________________
_-_-bear
http://www.bearlabs.com -- Btw, I don't actually know anything, FYI -- [...2SJ74 Toshiba bogus asian parts - beware! ]
  Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2012, 12:57 AM   #17
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator
 
Pano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Milliways
Blog Entries: 4
Cool! Lets us know what you find.
  Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2012, 02:31 AM   #18
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member
 
bear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: New York State USA
a crushed manila shipping bag with a flattened cracked board inside?


_-_-bear
__________________
_-_-bear
http://www.bearlabs.com -- Btw, I don't actually know anything, FYI -- [...2SJ74 Toshiba bogus asian parts - beware! ]
  Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2012, 03:09 AM   #19
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member
 
qusp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by i2k92 View Post
BTW, some chinese boards are not that bad. I read somewhere that the famous Gigawork CS4398 DAC (there's a huge thread about it here) was used by Decware for one of their product (with some mods here and there).
yes, and they were universally criticized and ridiculed for that decision; supporting all chips on adapter PCBs + pinheaders is just one major problem with these layouts that cannot be overcome with mods
  Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2012, 03:58 AM   #20
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member
 
bear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: New York State USA
Yeah but the thing is $50USD... the chips would probably cost you more if you had to go acquire them separately... this one has no pinheads

_-_-bear
__________________
_-_-bear
http://www.bearlabs.com -- Btw, I don't actually know anything, FYI -- [...2SJ74 Toshiba bogus asian parts - beware! ]
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Recommend me an eBay DAC. GloBug Digital Line Level 24 28th May 2013 05:08 PM
Ebay dac with: DAC TDA1541, AD1865, AD1955, PCM63, & CS4398! sharpi31 Digital Line Level 2 10th January 2011 07:03 AM
which ebay DAC do I want? nullstring Digital Line Level 10 20th July 2010 06:37 PM
Any experience with this ebay-dac-kit?(searching a diy-dac) xTr3Me Digital Line Level 2 31st December 2009 11:07 AM
DAC outboard from Ebay ttan98 Digital Source 0 22nd August 2007 02:24 AM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 09:49 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2