Digital Crossover Vs Existing DACs - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd February 2012, 11:47 AM   #11
Draki is online now Draki  Macedonia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HYPERTUNE View Post
I've looked at every dsp based active crossover system I can find and I keep coming back to the Groundsound DCN28. To me, it has the best combination of features as it is not just an 8 channel crossover, but also does a very good job as a preamp, with source selection and volume control, etc. Nice features like staged amp power switching make it obvious that it is intended to be more like a control system for an active speaker setup than just a crossover.

The DCN28 uses quite good dac chips (4 x pcm1798 I think) and although they might not spec as well as a es9018, it's arguable that the analogue stage after the dac is more important and in that area it seems Groundsound have paid a lot of attention.

Put it this way, even if the oppo dac/output stage were better than the DCN28, it would most likely be impossible to pick it and certainly negligible compared to the gains possible with active speakers and eq/room correction.

Another good point is that attenuation is done after the dacs allowing them to run at max resolution. Even individual channel adjustment can be done post dac.

If your budget allows, I think it would be your best bet. Certainly well worth considering.
Agreed ! If I could afford it, I would get one.
Old 22nd February 2012, 02:58 PM   #12
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

there is no advantage running volume controls post dac, the DNR has to be effected somewhere and imo its best to do that in the dac or better yet pre dac at 40-64bit floating point. i can tell you there is no such analogue volume control that will touch that resolution.

this whole myth/audiophile 'wisdom' is dieing really hard, in the olden days digital attenuation was pretty bad, but this is now a LONG time ago, pro and pro-sumer multichannel sound cards have been using digital attenuation for mixing for many years now, that is how the music you are listing to was made and the tech just keeps getting better. they are now at the point that even the most stupidly expensive pot is left in the dust IMO
Old 22nd February 2012, 03:17 PM   #13
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draki View Post
Hi

Yes you can activate also with analog ACTIVE crossover (e.g. marchand electronics). It is used between the preamp and the power amps driving the speaker drivers directly:
Oppo analog out -> preamp -> analogue active c/o -> power amps -> speaker drivers

With a plate amp (e.g. Hypex, PartsExpress..... many more) you are still all analog:
The plate amp (a.k.a. sub-woofer amp) is needed for each stereo bass and will drive it directly , The main 2 ch power amp will be driving the Mid+Tweeter "ways" which are presumably passively crossed.
slightly outmoded thinking. the hypex PSC2.400d is a plateamp containing 2 x 400w class D and a digital filter section as well as digital input. the filters are uploaded by usb, but i dont think they have a direct usb audio connection just yet. looks very good. has AES/spdif digital in though as well as standard XLR balanced analogue line level. probably comes at a cost though

heres a member here who just finished a project using them, looks a really neat solution, by the sounds of it you wouldnt even have to leave the computer connected, just upload the filters and disconnect

jesus, the pics are huge, check out the link, i cant leave that linked it screws the page up

Last edited by qusp; 22nd February 2012 at 03:23 PM.
Old 22nd February 2012, 07:25 PM   #14
bbggg is offline bbggg  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Screamer View Post
price is a bit steep
You stated you wanted
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Screamer View Post
to use the best DACs available
and that's what I recommended.
Old 22nd February 2012, 09:22 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Thanks guys I ran the idea of the DCN 28 past the better half this morning and she didn’t say no, so while I would like to keep costs contained it isn’t off the table.

This has necessitated a rethink of my original idea of having high quality speakers all around for the future home theatre setup.
Perhaps I should be looking at a two pronged attack.

1) A high quality set of speakers that provide the best quality I can muster without spending ridiculous amounts of money.
2) As a secondary action add additional speakers to form the rest of the system.

If I was to build myself just two upmarket speakers for the mains using the following:
DCN28 for pre amp, digital crossover, attenuation.
3 x Rotel 2 Channel Class D amps (using the RB-1092 for base drivers and maybe 2 x RB-1572 for mid and tweeters)
several “good quality” drivers and tweeters
Just before I bought the Oppo I purchased a Rotel RDV-1093 which I could park in front of the DCN28 if the ADC/DAC are not going to be used in the player.

For the additional surround sound I could keep the Cremona M centre in place and move the Cremona mains to the rear. Not a well-balanced system and a bit of a waste of the Cremona’s, but it does give me 5 speakers for the time being.

Depending on what drivers I put in the front speakers I could probably sell the Gravis sub. Just need to see if there is some way I can I can make it work with the Oppo and the Rotel RSP-1570 for surround sound. Maybe I should look at getting rid of the RSP-1570 as well and look at a simpler way to switch video.

Sorry bbggg by that I meant use the DACs in the Oppo, as I would still consider them better than the DCN28 or LIO8 DACS, not necessarily the best post player DACs

So if I was going to spend $4k on an all in one would it be the DCN28 or something else?

Still need to look into the other Options Draki mentioned.

Last edited by Silent Screamer; 22nd February 2012 at 09:29 PM.
Old 22nd February 2012, 09:33 PM   #16
Draki is online now Draki  Macedonia
diyAudio Member

So if I was going to spend $4k on an all in one would it be the DCN28 or something else?

For $4K it's either DCN28 or DEQX HDP3 .... all-in-one

For a fraction of that cost : DCX2496 full version from Pilgham Audio ...

Last edited by Draki; 22nd February 2012 at 09:41 PM. Reason: added text
Old 22nd February 2012, 09:57 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Don’t know how I worked it out to be $4000, I must have converted something else, 31,700 DKR works out to be $5300 plus 10% GST, so looking at close to $6000 AU, that is a lot of moolah for a crossover.

Edit:
Ok I must have gotten it mixed up with the LIO8 which starts at $3995

Last edited by Silent Screamer; 22nd February 2012 at 10:08 PM.
Old 22nd February 2012, 10:40 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

It is about $4200. The 31,700 price would include VAT, which we don't have to pay.

I prefer the DCN28 to the DEQX due to the fact it has 8 channels, volume display, amp switching, more inputs and volume knob. I'm building 3 way mains, and the extra 2 channels will be for subwoofers. Excellent way to implement a "multi sub" approach.

I think the Oppo and the DCN28 would make a very good team. I can't see a need for the RSP-1570.
Old 22nd February 2012, 11:34 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Thanks HYPERTUNE will do a bit more investigation on the pricing.

I was thinking along similar lines, to use the additional 2 outputs for 1 huge sub each side, or possibly a two way centre…

Think I can do this but just checking… Say for example I wanted to use two drivers instead of one for a given frequency i.e. series or parallel, there is nothing stops me doing this off the same output is there?

The way I figure it is the crossover output goes into the amp and if I parallel or series off the amp output then the crossover won’t really care as long as the amp is capable of handling the load. Obviously if I went series it would alter the driver specs and the crossover setting would need to be adjusted accordingly.

But as long as both drivers are operating on the same frequency range I don’t see why this wouldn’t work.
Old 23rd February 2012, 12:17 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

You won't be able to use the spare channels as a centre as the DCN28 has stereo inputs.

The crossover won't care at all what you do on the amps outputs.

Hide this!Advertise here!