Philips cdm-1 differences - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th February 2012, 04:59 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Philips cdm-1 differences

Two players with the CDM-1 Transport, see pictures. The Marantz CD34 and the other Marantz CD74...The CD74 transport is the Japanese version if I'm not mistaken. can anyone tell what that large nut is there, as its not on the CD34. Also, seeing how they are almost identical players, The CD34 plays every cdr thrown at it, while the CD74 is temperamental with some home recordings. Now oddly enough, my Revox B225 has issues with the same identical disc's as well. I don't play cdr's often as I only have 12 home recordings, but I am curious about the why?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg L1030421.jpg (500.5 KB, 181 views)
File Type: jpg L1030426.jpg (373.6 KB, 166 views)
Old 12th February 2012, 06:19 PM   #2
oshifis is offline oshifis  Hungary
diyAudio Member

I have a CD-74 with the mechanism looking like on the left picture. That is the original CDM-1 with die cast frame. The right hand picture with the clumsy brass screws looks like some DIY mod...
Old 12th February 2012, 07:26 PM   #3
RS232 is offline RS232  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I have the cdm1, cdm1 mkII cdm2/10 and cdm4/16 and none looks like the one on the right (DIY mod ?)
That motor is also something I never seen in a CDM transport but...
All mine CDMs have the motor like the one on the right but the CDM4/16 composite has a small Mabuchi (?) motor build in

Last edited by RS232; 12th February 2012 at 07:32 PM.
Old 13th February 2012, 02:52 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I had a marantz CD-54 that I sold recently it also looked like the one on the right... same motor and everything but thought nothing of it at the time.
Old 13th February 2012, 02:56 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Also the spindle is all brass... here is a photo...This is a CDM-1 Made in Japan.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg L1030428.jpg (471.1 KB, 147 views)
File Type: jpg L1030429.jpg (465.7 KB, 140 views)
Old 13th February 2012, 03:14 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Also the spindle is all brass... here is a photo...This is a CDM-1 Made in Japan.
Old 13th February 2012, 05:28 AM   #7
amc184 is offline amc184  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Interesting thread, I hadn't realized that the CDM-1s used in Japanese made players differed at all from those used in European players. I own a Marantz CD84 (has an IR remote, otherwise the same as a CD74), I took the access plate off and found it to be exactly the same as the picture isitrisky posted, including the large brass nut.

I compared it side by side with a CDM-1 from a CD101 (an early type CDM-1), and they share almost no parts, the main chassis casting, PCA, flex PCBs, spindle motor, spindle and laser head are all different.

As for the differences in playback, it could be down to either the differences in servo design (the Japanese made CD84 has a completely different servo to the Belgian CD34) or just differences in the condition of each player. Have you serviced either?
Old 13th February 2012, 09:35 AM   #8
oshifis is offline oshifis  Hungary
diyAudio Member

Here is the history and are some photos on the CDM-1:

http://www.dutchaudioclassics.nl/?st...M#philips-cdm1
Philips CDM1 swing-arm CD mechanism - DutchAudioClassics.nl
Old 13th February 2012, 02:21 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc184 View Post
Interesting thread, I hadn't realized that the CDM-1s used in Japanese made players differed at all from those used in European players. I own a Marantz CD84 (has an IR remote, otherwise the same as a CD74), I took the access plate off and found it to be exactly the same as the picture isitrisky posted, including the large brass nut.

I compared it side by side with a CDM-1 from a CD101 (an early type CDM-1), and they share almost no parts, the main chassis casting, PCA, flex PCBs, spindle motor, spindle and laser head are all different.

As for the differences in playback, it could be down to either the differences in servo design (the Japanese made CD84 has a completely different servo to the Belgian CD34) or just differences in the condition of each player. Have you serviced either?
If you compare it side by side, it a much more refined CDM-1 Than the one's out of Belgium. More polished if you will.

Hide this!Advertise here!