Finished 2496 (AK4396) CS8416 DAC - Newb DIY questions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I think I'm, going to buy this DAC from eBay:
eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

What I was wondering is if there are things on this board that I could change to improve the sound at a minimal cost. I'm currently a student so to say money is tight is an understatement. I've just recently discovered DIY and DAC's and I love music so I'm trying to find the cheapest way possible to improve my sound. I'm very competent with computers as I build mine when I do upgrade, but when it comes to actual circuitry/boards I have no idea what's going on. I'm pretty sure heating up a soldering iron and removing/inserting caps/res/chips is not beyond my skill level though. So does anyone know of parts that can be easily replaced on this that would improve the sound?

Any help or input would be greatly appreciated.

Hi all, I have a question re this DAC. Please be patient with me kids. I am new to DACs. I just bought a delicious 4396 DAC on ebay out of Hong Kong based on some of the info in this thread and others and I'm very impressed with it. All my music in flac encoded and thye sound coming of this unit through my old pre digital Marantz PM300 is like having the sound inside a drum and then taking the lid off it.

Finished 2496 AK4396 CS8416 DAC With Transformer Case | eBay

Here is the question. I have it set up connected to my PC using a very good ASUS mobo with a great SPDIF output with the ability to output up to 192k but I want to use an Acer Aspire 5520 laptop that has a SPDIF output but can only output 48k. The problem is that I am getting nothing with the Acer Aspire...nada. The Aspire 5520 is an unknown quantity, I've just loaded up a new OS onto it. Is the reason I am getting nothing due to the 48k output limitation of the Aspire 5520 or is 96k the min that the DAC requires ??? Any help appreciated.

Hi Avro yes, I've just loaded the latest realtek drivers and and I know the audio port works ok and I can activate the SPDIF no problem and it shows as active (on the Aspire 5520, the same port is used for normal audio out and SPDIF out and when using SPDIF out, you use a male 1/8 mono to female RCA adapter and plug the coax cable from the DAC into the back of it) so I am confused as to why I am getting nothing. But thanks anyway. (ps) love your name. I'm an aircraft buff and I still shed a tear when I think that one of the finest aircraft ever built never entered production due to political a$$hats.

I'm an aircraft buff and I still shed a tear when I think that one of the finest aircraft ever built never entered production due to political a$$hats.

Me Too
I've seen whats left in the museum and met people who worked on them.

Maybe the output level for the SPDIF signal is too low for the receiver
to lock on to.
You should be able to test different bit rates and bit depths with your
desktop. At least you might be able to narrow down the source of the
problem.

Good luck!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.