Anyone using this 5.1 DTS AC3 decoder yet?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm pretty close to buying one of these to build into a case with a 6 channel (3xTA2020) amplifier board to make a nice little home cinema integrated.

It has 2 coaxial inputs which is the main reason I want it - so I can run spdif from my HTPC and from my Blueray player.

Link to decoder board.

5.1 DTS AC3 decode preamplifier board+Remote control | eBay

Planning to build it all in one case with a meanwell 12v switching PSU.

Would love to hear from anyone thats used the decoder board I've linked or anyone doing a similar project.

Decoder board, amp and PSU should all come in around £100 - add £20 for a case and that's not a bad price for a 5.1 decoding amp...

I bought one. have not used it. its on loan to a friend who also does not want to put time into it (sigh...)

the vol control chip is a mystery. vendor scratched off the markings ;( I lost a lot of interest when I saw that. not to mention that the software is all closed source, has spelling errors and usability errors. to be expected from junk from that region (hate saying it but we all know it to be true).

my goal was to get the chip and throw the rest away, anyway. I don't know if there is special bootstrap code to get the chip running or if it will come up mostly on its own. I suspect there is a lot more to getting the core chip going than just transplanting its riser board. might have to spy on the i2c lines to see what init and control they do. zero hope of getting any source code to do that from the vendor.

wish multichannel was more open; but the vendors have all decided to keep that kind of digital audio CLOSED. this is why many of us totally avoid multichannel DIYs.

I'm pretty close to buying one of these to build into a case with a 6 channel (3xTA2020) amplifier board to make a nice little home cinema integrated.

It has 2 coaxial inputs which is the main reason I want it - so I can run spdif from my HTPC and from my Blueray player.

Link to decoder board.

5.1 DTS AC3 decode preamplifier board+Remote control | eBay

Planning to build it all in one case with a meanwell 12v switching PSU.

Would love to hear from anyone thats used the decoder board I've linked or anyone doing a similar project.

Decoder board, amp and PSU should all come in around £100 - add £20 for a case and that's not a bad price for a 5.1 decoding amp...

Thank you for this advice to Item number: 200618748618.
Are there in the meantime newer versions in this kind, i. e. with HDMI inputs ??

hello. i have just recived this decoder. the plan is to mate it up with a 6ch plateamp with 5pc LM3886 and 1pc UcD400. just as a compact system.
i do plan to rip out the OP-amps wich is NE5532, and replace them with AD797.
i'm just waiting for the regulated PSU, transformer and chassis now.

tiefbass: no there is not any newer versions with HDMI.

ebay dac? wouldnt be surprised if its not completely stable, though the datasheet says they are, they arent really all that unity gain stable, they are but require some babying and the NE does not require the same, not a drop in replacement in the slightest

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.