Can the PCM1794 better the PS1's sound? (or: alternative DAC w/ simple output stage?) - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd January 2012, 02:50 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

A fast OpAmp like LMH6626 is a better aproach than any transformer. Transformers I/V is just a gimmic, not a proper load for the DAC.
Old 23rd January 2012, 03:23 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfasf View Post
So, i think you are suggesting i use the transformer? If so.. i have no idea what transformer i would want.. [e: .. and it seems they can get very expensive so as stated.. i want to avoid that. Is the transformer solution still the best given a requirement for affordability?]

And why this over the op-amps, since you seem to rate them highly??

You think this would be better than the type of circuit i posted?..

Am currently getting very bogged down and confused reading many posts regarding 1794 output / i/v stages..
Your frustration appears to be coming from a lack of actual listening experience with these technologies. You won't be able to select an I/V approach, or an DAC chip, or whatever, until you develop a frame reference based upon your own listening experiences. You should try to go hear each of the various technical solutions your are considering at some local HiFi club or DAC shootout. Beyond that, I suggest building a modular DAC which will enable you to compare the different I/V approaches. Yes, you will be in for alot of DIY work (and fun). Unfortunately, this is the price of attaining DIY musical satisfaction.

It would be great if someone else, be they we fellow audiophiles, or magazine reviews, or vendor ads could just tell us exactly which technologies will deliver the most musically satisfying listening experience to our own personal ears. However, I don't know any real substitute (blind luck, maybe) for embarking on you own personal adventure of discovery. Along the way lies the emotional and spiritual reward of imcreasingly satisfying music listening in your own home. That's why this is such a great hobby!

Last edited by Ken Newton; 23rd January 2012 at 03:33 PM.
Old 24th January 2012, 02:08 PM   #13
oshifis is offline oshifis  Hungary
diyAudio Member

And be aware that there are advocates of passive I/V (resistor), Opamp, discrete I/V (FET/BJT) or transformer approach. Tubes can also play. One is technicaly perfect, the other is more musical, it depends on your personal preference and what kind of music do you prefer. Try each one and decide... (and report back)
Old 24th January 2012, 04:44 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

"Technically perfect" if you are looking to extract just 11-13 bit worth of audio quality from the full 20-22 bit capabilities of the above DAC.

BTW: Does anybody know what's the settling time of the output on this DAC? How about any other delta-sigma DAC?

Last edited by SoNic_real_one; 24th January 2012 at 05:03 PM.
Old 24th January 2012, 08:20 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Newton View Post
Your frustration appears to be coming from a lack of actual listening experience with these technologies. You won't be able to select an I/V approach, or an DAC chip, or whatever, until you develop a frame reference based upon your own listening experiences. You should try to go hear each of the various technical solutions your are considering at some local HiFi club or DAC shootout. Beyond that, I suggest building a modular DAC which will enable you to compare the different I/V approaches. Yes, you will be in for alot of DIY work (and fun). Unfortunately, this is the price of attaining DIY musical satisfaction.

It would be great if someone else, be they we fellow audiophiles, or magazine reviews, or vendor ads could just tell us exactly which technologies will deliver the most musically satisfying listening experience to our own personal ears. However, I don't know any real substitute (blind luck, maybe) for embarking on you own personal adventure of discovery. Along the way lies the emotional and spiritual reward of imcreasingly satisfying music listening in your own home. That's why this is such a great hobby!
Nicely stated and so true!

Last edited by coolnose; 24th January 2012 at 08:21 PM. Reason: typo.. no comment

Hide this!Advertise here!