dir9001 problems

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all!

Im having problems with the attached circuit based on the DIR9001 96kHz s/pdif receiver from Texas. Problem is that xaudio=0 and error=1 all the time no matter what.

This is only kind of proof of concept and not nearly a final solution so there's no decoupling caps and I'm using the same vcc/vdd and dgnd/agnd respectively.

Can you see anything obviously wrong with the attached circuit?

Attachments

• dir9001.GIF
    dir9001.GIF
    12.3 KB · Views: 558
Again sorry, there were more typos with the other caps - here's my currently updated schematics. I'm a total noob at this and it's my first time ever using Eagle.

The reason for the two paralleled caps making for 69nF together and two resistors adding up to 692R in series is that I didn't have the proper values - are these close enough, you think?

Attached is also a picture of the soldering, looks ok?

Attachments

• dir9001.GIF
    dir9001.GIF
    18.8 KB · Views: 456
  • dir9001_lodning.JPG
    dir9001_lodning.JPG
    83.5 KB · Views: 549
Thank you, the first schematic is new to me so I tried that without any luck though. The second is from the datasheet which I based my own schematic on.

Regretfully, it seems I'm facing bad soldering or a broken chip. I soldered @ approx 350 celcius and afterwards I noticed from specs that the chip can withstand a max of 260 for 5 seconds...

Thanks for all your help guys!

Joined 2009
Paid Member
On your schematic it looks like C1 is shorted, but I assume that that is not the case.
You don't describe what the distance is from your supply to the IC, but I strongly suggest to add bypass capacitors on the supply pins. Preferably very close to the IC.

hi hanzibal,

did you fix the problem? does your DIR9001 work?

I'm a having quite the same problem... error = 1
I checked the signal at RXin with the oscilloscope and there was nothing wrong, yet there are no signals at LRCK, BCK, SCK...
Sadly not so i put that project on hold in favor of others. The chip is fairly easy to work with so in retrospect, I think my soldering was bad, i.e. I overheated the chip while soldering.

I'll be taking the project up again as I will be needing an SP/DIF receiver for upcoming projects. Don't know exactly when this will happen though.

As for your problem, it could still be unsupported input format. AFAIK, the chip only accepts regular PCM audio @ 96kHz max. That is, not any of the many encoded/compressed or multi-channel formats (like DTS and similar).

If I remember correctly there's an error pin out that you could check.

Hope this helps.

Seems this problem is back after I soldered the coax-TTL circuit on veroboard. Might have less capacitance now compared to breadboard though, anybody knows how sensitive it is? Still on the scope the input signal looks good.

On the FILT pin, the voltage is pretty constant 0.8V, has anybody measured that?

RESET is done from PG output of 3.3V supply, that should be OK? Datasheet says it should be lifted within 100ns of stable supply. Seems most just wire it to supply.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.