Pioneer VSX-S300 VSX-S500 multiway hack

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Quite silently, Pioneer recently launched the VSX-S300 and VSX-S500 digital A/V amplifiers, multichannel, equipped with four HDMI inputs. The image goes out to the TV set using one HDMI out.

We also have the BOXDH57JG Intel Motherboard : HDMI output, mini-ITX form factor, LGA1156 socket supporting an impressive range of Intel processors.

There are Blu-ray players available on SATA like the Samsung SH-B123L, enabling a PC to operate as Blu-ray player, DVD player, audio CD player, ripper, storage, etc.

Using a proper HDMI driver, the PC can always route the audio to HDMI. It becomes thus tempting to have the PC acting as universal audio/video source, connecting on the Pioneer VSX-S300 using HDMI, with the sound always conveyed using HDMI, decoded inside the Pioneer VSX-S300.

It becomes even more tempting to hack the VSX-S300, tap the front left and front right I2S and SPI streams inside (digital audio and volume) just before the internal DACs, in order to feed a 3-way digital crossover and DACs as "set-top-box".

Could we base on the Elektor DSP56374 board and JTAG programmer for capturing the I2S stream and for generating the three required I2S streams ?

The PC would "see" the DSP56374 board using one USB port. This way, running a dedicated Visual Basic application, the PC could configure the 3-way crossover.

Anyone interested ?

Attachments

• Poneer VSX-S300.JPG
    Poneer VSX-S300.JPG
    25.6 KB · Views: 83
  • Intel DH57JG.JPG
    Intel DH57JG.JPG
    16 KB · Views: 79
  • Samsung SH-B123L.JPG
    Samsung SH-B123L.JPG
    11.6 KB · Views: 75
  • Elektor DSP56374 (Alexander Potchinkov).jpg
    Elektor DSP56374 (Alexander Potchinkov).jpg
    341.7 KB · Views: 85
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.