24 bit/96Hz and higher I2S

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am about to build Peter Daniel's NOS TDa1543 for my Maganvox CD player and had some questions. Where as his design call for an 8412 receiver chip, I am going to be taking the I2s lines directly from the 7210 chip in the player to the Dac and keep evrything in the case. If this works succesfully, I would like to try taking I2s from my Juli@ card and feeding into a ESS9023 based DAC for my higher resolution FLAC files. The question i have concerns the I2s feed. Is it limited to 16 bit 44.1Hz or does it just pass on the signal it is fed. Inother words, will I2s pass a 24bit/192 signal. THese are both my first fooray into the DC play area if not already obvious.

The question i have concerns the I2s feed. Is it limited to 16 bit 44.1Hz or does it just pass on the signal it is fed. Inother words, will I2s pass a 24bit/192 signal. THese are both my first fooray into the DC play area if not already obvious.

The I2S link between the A-chip and B-chip is a bit 'raw' in that the B-chip (SAA7220) does a bit of error concealment and muting. So tapping off this link might give rise to some slightly odd effects when pausing or track skipping/searching. During normal error-free play you should be fine.

The I2S link between the A-chip and B-chip is a bit 'raw' in that the B-chip (SAA7220) does a bit of error concealment and muting. So tapping off this link might give rise to some slightly odd effects when pausing or track skipping/searching. During normal error-free play you should be fine.

I have yet to fully implement the changes in this design. The PSU will go in today and I am thinking this will help two things that are happening. One problem is some popping that I am getting during playback. I believe this may be the I2s feed although I have not played with the connnection from the 7210 to the 1543, but i have bypassed evrything after the 1543 running the output directly into a passive output. Second problem( I think will be fixed by new PSU) is a distortion on playback when playing dense music at louder levels. It is mostly heard on dense portions or on LF sections of the musci. I believe this i sbecause i have not implemented the psu for the original design and the chip is suffering from distortion due to a lack of power. The new PSU runs at a higher V+

The ESS 9023 is a 24 bit DAC. Does this mean it will accept whatever signal it is fed or do i have to use something like the included link to feed it 24 bit rate.

Creating a DIY non oversampling DAC with PCM1704

Nope, it doesnt look like you have to do anything like you have listed in the link with the ES9023. The ES9023 has an I2S interface and I2S to I2S it will work fine.

The PCM1704 is taking in unformated digital data (no I2S) from what i see.... each chip handles one channel at a time.... and it costs like $70 on DigiKey lol

i guess you have to select the correct I2S components so you dont get a bottleneck or data loss. ex: If you use 24-bit DAC you might want to keep using 24-bit components... but it will work with 16-bit

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I do it all the time!

Buzzforb,

I've attached pix of one of my Juli@ cards with an EUVL (Xen Audio) ES9022 DAC card mounted on it. The ES9023 will work the same.

I run this combo at 24/192 upsampled in a cMP^2 computer music player setup. I've also used AK4398, AK4399, & ES9018-based (Buffalo-32... picture also attached) DAC cards in this setup.

Links to several good resources on the Juli@:

Earliest set of recommended mods to the Juli@ that I've seen:

Heres some test results for the new ESI Juli@ card. [4] - RightMark Forums

Getting I2S from the Juli@... and several posts on how to best interface the two:

Easy I2S from Juli@ PCI sound card

Another set of mods for the Juli@:

rebirth of the Juli@ - sonics - Computer Audio Asylum

My initial postings on Juli@ mods including a lot of reference info:

Juli@ Follies... - GStew - Computer Audio Asylum

Tube SPDIF Modification to a Juli@

http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/pcaudio/messages/7/76028.html

My current set of Juli@ mods with some additional reference info:

Further Juli@ Follies... - GStew - Computer Audio Asylum

I've been developing a set of Extreme mods to the Juli@ and hope to start updating the last of these threads with the current state which is sounding very good! Key mod is to power the Juli@ from a separate power supply instead of using the 5v from the motherboard... there's a lot you can do after that, but there's not much improvement you can get while feeding it the dirty motherboard power.

And several good resources on the cMP/cPlay computer music player setup:

cMP Environment:

http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/pcaudio/messages//27041.html

cPlay Player:

cPlay - the open source high-end audio player using ASIO - cics - Computer Audio Asylum

More good cMP & Juli@ mod info:

cmp2-mihaylov.narod.ru

Thread on DIY Mods to a cMP setup (including several posts on modified Juli@ cards):

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/141451-cmp2-diy-mods.html

This should keep you busy for awhile!

Greg in Mississippi

P.S. One of the next projects on my bench is to try the latest version of Peter D's TDA1543-based NOS DAC in this setup.

Attachments

• IMAG1614.jpg
    IMAG1614.jpg
    576.4 KB · Views: 245
  • Buffalo On Modified Juli@ w-outputs #2 (Large).JPG
    Buffalo On Modified Juli@ w-outputs #2 (Large).JPG
    140.7 KB · Views: 240
Last edited:
Thanks Greg. Wonderful info. PSU upgrades always seem to elicit the most improvements. I am going to try the Peter Daniels SE Version in the CD player first. If I like it, I am going to pull it out and go balanced with it. I want the final setup to be I2S based, being able to accept either SPdif or I2s, depending on the situation. I was able to get an unfinished shiglaclone for $50, so hopefully this is as good as stated and becomes the transport of choice. The other FE will be audio specific PC using either E350 or new D2700 chip. Both will be run with custom PSU or Pico PSU. J. River will be the FE for the musci playback.

Nope, it doesnt look like you have to do anything like you have listed in the link with the ES9023. The ES9023 has an I2S interface and I2S to I2S it will work fine.

The PCM1704 is taking in unformated digital data (no I2S) from what i see.... each chip handles one channel at a time.... and it costs like $70 on DigiKey lol

i guess you have to select the correct I2S components so you dont get a bottleneck or data loss. ex: If you use 24-bit DAC you might want to keep using 24-bit components... but it will work with 16-bit

The PCM1704 doesn't take an "unformatted" signal, but it is not strictly I2S. I2S is left-justified (with one bit delay) and the 1704 needs right-justified data. That means that the 1704 converts the most recent 24 bits sent before the transition of the word clock. I2S uses the first 24 bits after the transition of the word clock (but discards the first one). Very often, 32 bits (per channel) are sent, so the left- or right-justified data format becomes very important. Fortunately I have only seen MSb first, not LSb first.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.