24 bit/96Hz and higher I2S - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th January 2012, 04:57 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default 24 bit/96Hz and higher I2S

I am about to build Peter Daniel's NOS TDa1543 for my Maganvox CD player and had some questions. Where as his design call for an 8412 receiver chip, I am going to be taking the I2s lines directly from the 7210 chip in the player to the Dac and keep evrything in the case. If this works succesfully, I would like to try taking I2s from my Juli@ card and feeding into a ESS9023 based DAC for my higher resolution FLAC files. The question i have concerns the I2s feed. Is it limited to 16 bit 44.1Hz or does it just pass on the signal it is fed. Inother words, will I2s pass a 24bit/192 signal. THese are both my first fooray into the DC play area if not already obvious.
Old 19th January 2012, 12:50 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

i2s can "carry" at least a stereo, 32 bit, 200kHz signal - because that's what some of the DAC's accept at the input today, via i2s.
Old 19th January 2012, 03:05 AM   #3
MrSlim is offline MrSlim  Canada
diyAudio Member

I2S can do at least up to 32bit/384K. There are some Async USB - I2S converters in the works (Audio-widget and TPA "transporter"?) that can drive their I2S output to that level..
Old 19th January 2012, 03:20 AM   #4
chaparK is offline chaparK  Luxembourg
diyAudio Member

There's no data rate limit in the I2S format itself.
However there are going to be limitations with the chips you're going to use. You should refer to their respective datasheets.
Old 19th January 2012, 03:21 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I think there is no limit in the i2s standard for the speed. It's all up to the transmitter and receiver components.
Old 19th January 2012, 03:41 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

from what i read the I2S is limited by the hardware transmit and recieve components. So if your "Juli@ card" is 16bit and your ESS9023 is 32 bit it will read only 16 bits (the remaining bits will be zeroed out) so you wont necessarily get an advantage of the 32bit DAC architecture and a higher data.
Old 19th January 2012, 11:10 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

The ESS 9023 is a 24 bit DAC. Does this mean it will accept whatever signal it is fed or do i have to use something like the included link to feed it 24 bit rate.

Creating a DIY non oversampling DAC with PCM1704
Old 19th January 2012, 11:23 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzforb View Post
The question i have concerns the I2s feed. Is it limited to 16 bit 44.1Hz or does it just pass on the signal it is fed. Inother words, will I2s pass a 24bit/192 signal. THese are both my first fooray into the DC play area if not already obvious.
The I2S link between the A-chip and B-chip is a bit 'raw' in that the B-chip (SAA7220) does a bit of error concealment and muting. So tapping off this link might give rise to some slightly odd effects when pausing or track skipping/searching. During normal error-free play you should be fine.
Old 19th January 2012, 11:32 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxalito View Post
The I2S link between the A-chip and B-chip is a bit 'raw' in that the B-chip (SAA7220) does a bit of error concealment and muting. So tapping off this link might give rise to some slightly odd effects when pausing or track skipping/searching. During normal error-free play you should be fine.
I have yet to fully implement the changes in this design. The PSU will go in today and I am thinking this will help two things that are happening. One problem is some popping that I am getting during playback. I believe this may be the I2s feed although I have not played with the connnection from the 7210 to the 1543, but i have bypassed evrything after the 1543 running the output directly into a passive output. Second problem( I think will be fixed by new PSU) is a distortion on playback when playing dense music at louder levels. It is mostly heard on dense portions or on LF sections of the musci. I believe this i sbecause i have not implemented the psu for the original design and the chip is suffering from distortion due to a lack of power. The new PSU runs at a higher V+
Old 19th January 2012, 11:47 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

My M2Tech EVO outputs 32/384 via I2S.
Much like M2Tech do in their USB-equiped Young DAC.
I guess the same goes for other companies who either use M2Tech IP or other similar "USB transport" solutions.

Hide this!Advertise here!