24 bit/96Hz and higher I2S - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th January 2012, 01:36 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzforb View Post
The ESS 9023 is a 24 bit DAC. Does this mean it will accept whatever signal it is fed or do i have to use something like the included link to feed it 24 bit rate.

Creating a DIY non oversampling DAC with PCM1704
Nope, it doesnt look like you have to do anything like you have listed in the link with the ES9023. The ES9023 has an I2S interface and I2S to I2S it will work fine.

The PCM1704 is taking in unformated digital data (no I2S) from what i see.... each chip handles one channel at a time.... and it costs like $70 on DigiKey lol

i guess you have to select the correct I2S components so you dont get a bottleneck or data loss. ex: If you use 24-bit DAC you might want to keep using 24-bit components... but it will work with 16-bit
Old 19th January 2012, 01:41 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

The i2s will be coming from a Juli@ card which outputs up to 24bit/192Hz. I would assume that if the ess can accept whatever it is fed, then whether 16 bit standard or 24 bit high res is put out through Juli@ card, the ESS wil work.
Old 19th January 2012, 02:08 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Default I do it all the time!

Buzzforb,

I've attached pix of one of my Juli@ cards with an EUVL (Xen Audio) ES9022 DAC card mounted on it. The ES9023 will work the same.

I run this combo at 24/192 upsampled in a cMP^2 computer music player setup. I've also used AK4398, AK4399, & ES9018-based (Buffalo-32... picture also attached) DAC cards in this setup.

Links to several good resources on the Juli@:

Earliest set of recommended mods to the Juli@ that I've seen:

Heres some test results for the new ESI Juli@ card. [4] - RightMark Forums

Getting I2S from the Juli@... and several posts on how to best interface the two:

Easy I2S from Juli@ PCI sound card

Another set of mods for the Juli@:

rebirth of the Juli@ - sonics - Computer Audio Asylum

My initial postings on Juli@ mods including a lot of reference info:

Juli@ Follies... - GStew - Computer Audio Asylum

Tube SPDIF Modification to a Juli@

http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/pc...s/7/76028.html

My current set of Juli@ mods with some additional reference info:

Further Juli@ Follies... - GStew - Computer Audio Asylum

I've been developing a set of Extreme mods to the Juli@ and hope to start updating the last of these threads with the current state which is sounding very good! Key mod is to power the Juli@ from a separate power supply instead of using the 5v from the motherboard... there's a lot you can do after that, but there's not much improvement you can get while feeding it the dirty motherboard power.

And several good resources on the cMP/cPlay computer music player setup:

cMP Environment:

http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/pc...es//27041.html

cPlay Player:

cPlay - the open source high-end audio player using ASIO - cics - Computer Audio Asylum

More good cMP & Juli@ mod info:

cmp2-mihaylov.narod.ru

Thread on DIY Mods to a cMP setup (including several posts on modified Juli@ cards):

cMP2 DIY Mods...

This should keep you busy for awhile!

Greg in Mississippi

P.S. One of the next projects on my bench is to try the latest version of Peter D's TDA1543-based NOS DAC in this setup.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG1614.jpg (576.4 KB, 201 views)
File Type: jpg Buffalo On Modified Juli@ w-outputs #2 (Large).JPG (140.7 KB, 193 views)

Last edited by Greg Stewart; 19th January 2012 at 02:16 PM. Reason: PS About NOS DAC; Tube SPDIF out; Mihaylov's site
Old 19th January 2012, 02:34 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Thanks Greg. Wonderful info. PSU upgrades always seem to elicit the most improvements. I am going to try the Peter Daniels SE Version in the CD player first. If I like it, I am going to pull it out and go balanced with it. I want the final setup to be I2S based, being able to accept either SPdif or I2s, depending on the situation. I was able to get an unfinished shiglaclone for $50, so hopefully this is as good as stated and becomes the transport of choice. The other FE will be audio specific PC using either E350 or new D2700 chip. Both will be run with custom PSU or Pico PSU. J. River will be the FE for the musci playback.
Old 19th January 2012, 03:19 PM   #15
macboy is offline macboy  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxgravediggerxz View Post
Nope, it doesnt look like you have to do anything like you have listed in the link with the ES9023. The ES9023 has an I2S interface and I2S to I2S it will work fine.

The PCM1704 is taking in unformated digital data (no I2S) from what i see.... each chip handles one channel at a time.... and it costs like $70 on DigiKey lol

i guess you have to select the correct I2S components so you dont get a bottleneck or data loss. ex: If you use 24-bit DAC you might want to keep using 24-bit components... but it will work with 16-bit
The PCM1704 doesn't take an "unformatted" signal, but it is not strictly I2S. I2S is left-justified (with one bit delay) and the 1704 needs right-justified data. That means that the 1704 converts the most recent 24 bits sent before the transition of the word clock. I2S uses the first 24 bits after the transition of the word clock (but discards the first one). Very often, 32 bits (per channel) are sent, so the left- or right-justified data format becomes very important. Fortunately I have only seen MSb first, not LSb first.
Old 19th January 2012, 04:08 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

This agrees with what i have read, hence teh question about the difference if using 9023.

Hide this!Advertise here!