Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th January 2012, 11:18 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default miniDSP + miniAMP Fiddling

Hi Everyone,

I took a first stab at setting up my recently purchased miniDSP and miniAMP as a digital crossover for my set of Overnight Sensations. This was a learning exercise rather than an attempt at improving the existing crossover. I don't have measurements at the moment. I used Paul Carmody's description of the crossover design to configure the miniDSP using the 2-way PEQ plug-in.

After some initial configuration glitches I had it up and running. I hope to make a better observation of the difference between the passive crossover and the my new digital version this weekend. Attached bellow are some photos of the setup and the software config. One major part of the puzzle I am missing is the values and configuration of the baffle step compensation. I couldn't find a description of it beyond the electrical details Paul had on his site.

So far the miniDSP has been a snap to use and the miniAMP running the speakers in a 4x10w bi-amped configuration sounds totally usable.

KM
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7306.JPG (395.0 KB, 180 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7308.JPG (416.6 KB, 174 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7309.JPG (354.6 KB, 169 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7311.JPG (427.5 KB, 167 views)
File Type: jpg ONS_DSP_cross_output_1.JPG (106.5 KB, 167 views)
File Type: jpg ONS_DSP_gain_ch2.JPG (81.1 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg ONS_DSP_PEQ_output_1.JPG (102.9 KB, 74 views)
Old 12th January 2012, 12:13 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Kyle, you need to get the transfer functions from Paul and program those (as close as you can) into minidsp.

You could bring one over and I'll measure the driver and develope an active xo. Paul wasn't designing for active, so he may have missed out on maximizing the drivers for active with dsp.

If you don't go back to passive, you could sell you xo'ers. Assembled OS xo'ers are popular

Hide this!Advertise here!