Any good TDA1541A DAC kit? - Page 44 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd April 2012, 09:47 AM   #431
Previously: Kuei Yang Wang

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by s3tup View Post
I doubt whether DIYers will want to build my DAC , but whenever they do - i can supply programmed CPLDs... I'm going with PLCC package and sockets, so DIYer could switch the programmed ICs or program 'em themselves, given the source is provided as well as compiled core and instructions. Programmer isn't that cheap (Xilinx SW compatible goes for ~$50, cheap alternative goes for ~$15)... CPLD ICs are around $2-$5, which isn't that bad given the possibilities they bring... JTAG connector will be there.
Don't get me wrong, in AMR's commercial products we have been using CPLD's and FPGA's from Day one, it just erects a quite high barrier for access to most DIYérs...

Quote:
I already had a bad time finding quad DFF with differential outputs.
Here are part numbers of "TinyLogic"-kind of devices with appropriate Q andQinv outputs. They need to be futher filtered for 5v-tolerant inputs and 3.3/5v Vcc operation.
With Diff outputs Quads are the max, AFAIK.

Quote:
Going for single-ended DFF just because a feature of simultaneous input?
Bears consideration. All design is compromise.

Ciao T
Old 29th April 2012, 10:27 AM   #432
gadut is offline gadut  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

any experience/comment for this pcb? it looks very nice finishing

http://www.cdream5.com/htm/DAC1541A_2008.htm

Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 30th April 2012, 01:16 AM   #433
erin is offline erin  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadut View Post
any experience/comment for this pcb? it looks very nice finishing
I used to own their TDA1540 board. The quality is good. They are finished boards. No assembly required. It worked straight away. I thought the sound was only good, but not great. I never bothered to modify or try to improve it.

I think the power supply is only a basic design, and the op amp output is not my cup of tea.
Old 30th April 2012, 06:54 AM   #434
galeb is offline galeb  Spain
diyAudio Member

Big ****.......sorry.
Old 30th April 2012, 07:29 AM   #435
diyAudio Member

Nicely aligned components/blocks usually mean compromised performance. If the designer decided to go for a cool alingment instead of best performance... Then the board can't be good. Good electrical layout should look messy. It gets better with designer's experience, but never comes close to silly aligned components just like these seven yin yang caps aligned in a row - these could be placed closer to ICs. Much closer to supply pins. But then it wouldn't look so sweet and cool.
Some miss the meaning of "electronic design" thinking of word "design" as of visual art. It's not visual, it's electrical.

Last edited by s3tup; 30th April 2012 at 07:32 AM.
Old 31st October 2012, 07:14 PM   #436
freax is offline freax  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Nicely aligned components/blocks usually mean compromised performance. If the designer decided to go for a cool alingment instead of best performance... Then the board can't be good. Good electrical layout should look messy. It gets better with designer's experience, but never comes close to silly aligned components just like these seven yin yang caps aligned in a row - these could be placed closer to ICs. Much closer to supply pins. But then it wouldn't look so sweet and cool.
Some miss the meaning of "electronic design" thinking of word "design" as of visual art. It's not visual, it's electrical.
Fully agree there, looks like someone has been playing too much Tetris to me , haha.

But at least it has all of the stages seperate from each other on the PSU end, and relative physical seperation from each IC which lends itself to creative shielding using copper tape and walls made out of cardboard, I've seen other DAC Kits on ebay where the IC's were much closer to each other...

Last edited by freax; 31st October 2012 at 07:29 PM.
Old 10th November 2012, 12:16 AM   #437
miklos is offline miklos  Canada
diyAudio Member

But where would you put those big blue caps around the TDA1541?
Every DAC made with this chip has the caps on the same place, close by and facing the pins of the IC.
Old 10th November 2012, 08:23 AM   #438
diyAudio Member

Under the chip, caps in SMD package.
Old 28th December 2012, 09:32 AM   #439
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorstenL View Post
I have been for a while considering design choices and techniques for an "ultimate" design. AMR currently has other priorities, but a small "fanclub" project may be on the cards, sadly without accessing AMR's technolgy or resources, though the "rejects, leftovers and tangents" that I can use readily make for a lot of material to use.

I also have access to 4 or 6 layer Teflon & Ceramic PCB fabs for small runs.

PM me.

Ciao T
Thorsten, did this ever come off the ground?
Tried pm-ing you to no avail... Definately part of the fanclub!
Old 29th December 2012, 11:09 AM   #440
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
T isn't in evidence over here these days, you could try contacting him through DIYhifi.org - he's still active on there with his former name.

Hide this!Advertise here!