Any good TDA1541A DAC kit? - Page 18 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th January 2012, 05:31 PM   #171
Previously: Kuei Yang Wang

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinsula View Post
You have to be very careful using such an array of multiple caps for decoupling.
Hence I was quite specific on what I actually used and showed how it is arranged... The cap's with the lowest impedance and highest resonance are closest to the IC. Working our way outwards each subsequent capacitor has higher ESR, meaning it acts primarily as snubber and minimises resonances.

I agree, you cannot just throw capacitors together willy-nilly.

Ciao T
Old 17th January 2012, 05:33 PM   #172
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

That's outlined in many datasheets. Just good practice.
Old 17th January 2012, 05:33 PM   #173

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by s3tup View Post
What can you suggest on opamp decoupling on I/V conversion?
Just don't use Op-Amp's. The AD844 is not great by a long stretch (neither closed loop or open loop).

There are so many better choices, not the least tubes...

Ciao T
Old 17th January 2012, 05:41 PM   #174

Pano,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
That's outlined in many datasheets. Just good practice.
With respect, what I do goes WAY (and I mean WAY) beyond the datasheets.

Datasheets usually have one 0.1uF cap with unspecified HF resonance where I have 1uF, nothing where I have 20uF 1206, 10uF-100uF generic elcaps (which will be around 3 to 10 times higher ESR than what I use) where I have 470uF OsCon and nothing where I add 2,200uF, plus a long trace to a 3-Pin series regulator that usually accumulates way more R & L than a 431 has.

If you actually model the arrangement allowing for some trace inductance and resistance you can observe a very different supply impedance, at frequencies where no regulator whatsoever does anything useful and where it hence matters a lot.

Ciao T
Old 17th January 2012, 05:53 PM   #175
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Shrug. I do the same thing with DAC and even Class-D circuits. Pretty sure I learned it all from datasheets and app notes. Maybe from talking to a few PCB layout guys.

Don't get me wrong, it's a very good way to do it, it's just not all that unusual.
Old 17th January 2012, 06:06 PM   #176

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua_G View Post
How about this implementation of WM8805 I2S: Wolfson WM8805 I2S to TDA1541A NOS ?
If the implementation is good, I'll make my own 4 layers PCB for the WM8805 I2S and for TDA1541A after John Brown with Shunt Regulators for each section.
It derives from raindrop-hui kits, with many of the problems retained.

I would be hesitant to recommend it's electrical design over that outlined for the vero-dac. I am also unconvinced that even 4-layer boards are a better choice than in air 3d...

I have been for a while considering design choices and techniques for an "ultimate" design. AMR currently has other priorities, but a small "fanclub" project may be on the cards, sadly without accessing AMR's technolgy or resources, though the "rejects, leftovers and tangents" that I can use readily make for a lot of material to use.

I also have access to 4 or 6 layer Teflon & Ceramic PCB fabs for small runs.

PM me.

Ciao T
Old 17th January 2012, 06:32 PM   #177
diyAudio Member

Hi Thorsten,

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorstenL View Post
It derives from raindrop-hui kits, with many of the problems retained.

I would be hesitant to recommend it's electrical design over that outlined for the vero-dac.
I meant only their WM8805 I2S implementation. As for the TDA1541A, I intend to follow John Brown.

Quote:
I am also unconvinced that even 4-layer boards are a better choice than in air 3d...
Even not with good PCB design and routing?

Quote:
I have been for a while considering design choices and techniques for an "ultimate" design. AMR currently has other priorities, but a small "fanclub" project may be on the cards, sadly without accessing AMR's technolgy or resources, though the "rejects, leftovers and tangents" that I can use readily make for a lot of material to use.

I also have access to 4 or 6 layer Teflon & Ceramic PCB fabs for small runs.

PM me.
Thanks,
Old 17th January 2012, 07:07 PM   #178

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua_G View Post
I meant only their WM8805 I2S implementation.
Do you mean as in "does it output I2S"or in "does it reliably provide low jitter?", the first, yes, with the right software, the second, not particulary.

Ciao T
Old 17th January 2012, 11:07 PM   #179
diyAudio Member

Thanks, Thorsten.
Old 18th January 2012, 05:14 AM   #180
diyAudio Member

Quote:

Part of the 'fanclub'! Looking forward to it, if designs and design considerations can be shared.

Hide this!Advertise here!