Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th January 2012, 06:06 PM   #111
regal is offline regal  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua_G View Post
Yes, I am, not only on the forums here, also on audiophiles forums.

I'm definitely interested.

Pay for what? For PCB + schematics? For prototype? For finished product?
For a finished product with sound quality surpassing that of the AMR CD-777 – up to about $2,000.
Is it TDA1541?, I'd be interested too, shoot me a PM when you get there.

As far as the discussion above about SQ evaluations, I recommend Olsen's website as an interesting read. His theory is that everyone has a unique sonic "preference", I think it has a lot to do with ear and skull geomtetry. Think about all the resonant sinus "cavities' in the skull. But any way Olsen says if you can find someone with similiar preferences as you (just sound not topology) you have found a good friend because you will tend to be satisfied with similiar gears.
Old 13th January 2012, 06:06 PM   #112
Sin Bin

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
Quote:
I'm definitely interested.
I'll make a mental note to PM you when there's something available to hear.

Quote:
Pay for what? For PCB + schematics? For prototype? For finished product?
For whatever I send to you to listen to, based on some negotiations nearer the time about how it would need to slot into your system.

Quote:
For a finished product with sound quality surpassing that of the AMR CD-777 – up to about $2,000.
Well your input would be to ascertain in what respects it approaches (or exceeds) the sound quality of the CD-777. And then estimate the price accordingly.

@regal - no, not TDA1541A based. Still interested?
Old 13th January 2012, 06:17 PM   #113
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by regal View Post
Is it TDA1541?, I'd be interested too, shoot me a PM when you get there.
AFAIK, no.

Quote:
As far as the discussion above about SQ evaluations, I recommend Olsen's website as an interesting read.
I'd rather listen than read.

Quote:
His theory is that everyone has a unique sonic "preference",
I know for a fact that different people have different sonic preferences, I need no further reading about it.
Old 13th January 2012, 06:21 PM   #114
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxalito View Post
I'll make a mental note to PM you when there's something available to hear.
Good, thank you.

Quote:
For whatever I send to you to listen to, based on some negotiations nearer the time about how it would need to slot into your system.

Well your input would be to ascertain in what respects it approaches (or exceeds) the sound quality of the CD-777. And then estimate the price accordingly.
I'm willing to pay, should I'd choose to keep the DAC.
Should I not keep it, I'm willing to pay the shipping costs, both ways.
Old 13th January 2012, 06:28 PM   #115
Sin Bin

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
Quote:
I'm willing to pay, should I'd choose to keep the DAC.
Should I not keep it, I'm willing to pay the shipping costs, both ways.
If you give me useful feedback (description of how it sounds to you on material we can both agree on, in comparison with your then-current favourites) I'd consider that adequate recompense for the DAC.

Bear in mind that its designed to work without a preamp so would require a bit of leg-work on your part getting it set up, given that you currently are using a pre. But we can go into that nearer the time.
Old 13th January 2012, 10:21 PM   #116
diyAudio Member

Quote:
If you give me useful feedback (description of how it sounds to you on material we can both agree on, in comparison with your then-current favourites) I'd consider that adequate recompense for the DAC.
Should I'd choose to keep the DAC, I insist on paying at least the build cost, or the materials cost, plus shipping. This is my term, I'm firm on having a clear conscience (according to my own standards).

An honest and detailed feedback, for good and for bad, is guaranteed either way. (I'm not easy to be pleased on sound quality. I may be a very harsh critic, however I'm unbiased and honest person and audiophile).

BTW, the main type of music I listen to is classical, mostly symphonic music and operas. Some of Mahler's symphonies, with Georg Solti conducting either the Chicago Symphony Orchestra or the Concertgebouw are my major references.

Quote:
Bear in mind that its designed to work without a preamp so would require a bit of leg-work on your part getting it set up, given that you currently are using a pre. But we can go into that nearer the time.
No problem.
I don't mind legwork and it may not be necessary, since my pr-amp has a tape-out, which bypasses the pre, other than the input selector.
Old 14th January 2012, 01:58 AM   #117
Sin Bin

Quote:
Should I'd choose to keep the DAC, I insist on paying at least the build cost, or the materials cost, plus shipping. This is my term, I'm firm on having a clear conscience (according to my own standards).
The build cost might exceed your budget because it'll probably be hand-built by myself. But materials and shipping costs are fine since you insist

Quote:
An honest and detailed feedback, for good and for bad, is guaranteed either way. (I'm not easy to be pleased on sound quality. I may be a very harsh critic, however I'm unbiased and honest person and audiophile).
Excellent. It'd be a waste of time for me if you didn't do your utmost to tear it apart (figuratively speaking).

Quote:
BTW, the main type of music I listen to is classical, mostly symphonic music and operas. Some of Mahler's symphonies, with Georg Solti conducting either the Chicago Symphony Orchestra or the Concertgebouw are my major references.
Classical is my staple diet too so that's fine. Not sure why but I've never been a great Mahler fan though. Of late I've been getting a ton of enjoyment out of a boxed set of Mercury Living Presence - recordings from the 50s and 60s.

Quote:
I don't mind legwork and it may not be necessary, since my pr-amp has a tape-out, which bypasses the pre, other than the input selector.
I'd appreciate you wiring it up in a way that I fully understand the system - the pre-amp even if only going through an input selector might introduce colouration by virtue of introducing a common-mode interference loop via grounds. Is the pre fully balanced? - the DAC will be. I'll not be using standard XLRs though so I'll probably ship you some cables as well.
Old 14th January 2012, 01:51 PM   #118
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The build cost might exceed your budget because it'll probably be hand-built by myself. But materials and shipping costs are fine since you insist
Okay, let's agree on materials and shipping costs, should I'd like to keep it. Else, I'll ship it back to you.

Quote:
Classical is my staple diet too so that's fine. Not sure why but I've never been a great Mahler fan though. Of late I've been getting a ton of enjoyment out of a boxed set of Mercury Living Presence - recordings from the 50s and 60s.
I'm open to any suggestions. It's better that I'll evaluate it with some of my reference CDs and some of yours. Your suggestions need not be restricted to classical music only.

Quote:
I'd appreciate you wiring it up in a way that I fully understand the system - the pre-amp even if only going through an input selector might introduce colouration by virtue of introducing a common-mode interference loop via grounds. Is the pre fully balanced? - the DAC will be. I'll not be using standard XLRs though so I'll probably ship you some cables as well.
No problem, I'll hook your device directly to the power amp.
My present pre-amp has only RCA ins and outs. My power amp has both RCA and XLR inputs. My present interconnect cables are NeoTech NEI-3002. Your interconnect cables are fine, though I'd like to evaluate your DAC with both your interconnect cables and NeoTech XLR cables which I'll purchase and burn in.

Does your DAC have also USB input? If yes, I'll fix my HTPC, which isn't working right now.

When do you estimate your DAC will be ready?
Old 14th January 2012, 02:05 PM   #119
Sin Bin

Quote:
No problem, I'll hook your device directly to the power amp.
Its a single, stereo power amp right?

Quote:
My present pre-amp has only RCA ins and outs.
Then its most definitely your weakest link

Quote:
My power amp has both RCA and XLR inputs. My present interconnect cables are NeoTech NEI-3002. Your interconnect cables are fine, though I'd like to evaluate your DAC with both your interconnect cables and NeoTech XLR cables which I'll purchase and burn in.
If you'd like to use your own cables then we'd have to work a way to adapt the more compact 3pin ones (Lemo clones) that I'm using. Or I ship you some connectors and you replace your XLRs on one end of yours.

Quote:
Does your DAC have also USB input?
Nope. I strenuously avoid USB because of the difficulty of isolating the noise and also the driver issues. I do sometimes use a cheapo USB-SPDIF converter for casual listening.

Quote:
When do you estimate your DAC will be ready?
My initial guess is sometime late summer. But really its a guess - I do have something that's listenable right now but only implements some of the features I'm going to put in the final design. However its too fragile to ship, being hand-wired and heavily bodged... So its hard to say how things will evolve over time as my development style is chaotic to say the least
Old 14th January 2012, 03:17 PM   #120
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Its a single, stereo power amp right?
Yes.

Quote:
Then its most definitely your weakest link
Indeed, I said so and not only because it is SE...

Quote:
If you'd like to use your own cables then we'd have to work a way to adapt the more compact 3pin ones (Lemo clones) that I'm using. Or I ship you some connectors and you replace your XLRs on one end of yours.
Your connectors are fine, I can hook them to my cables.

Quote:
My initial guess is sometime late summer. But really its a guess - I do have something that's listenable right now but only implements some of the features I'm going to put in the final design. However its too fragile to ship, being hand-wired and heavily bodged... So its hard to say how things will evolve over time as my development style is chaotic to say the least
There is no hurry. Whenever it will be ready is fine with me.
I believe your DAC has volume control. Does it?

Hide this!Advertise here!