SAA7220 spdif question - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th December 2011, 08:42 AM   #1
UV101 is offline UV101  England
diyAudio Member

Default SAA7220 spdif question

Hi can anyone tell me if the spdif out on the 7220 is generated before or after the filter??? I don't ever remember seeing the answer posted on the forum before!

Happy Christmas
Old 24th December 2011, 08:54 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UV101 View Post
Hi can anyone tell me if the spdif out on the 7220 is generated before or after the filter??? I don't ever remember seeing the answer posted on the forum before!

Happy Christmas
Before of course. SPDIF out is not digitally filtered.
Old 24th December 2011, 09:27 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks, I thought it would be ;-)
Old 24th December 2011, 03:23 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

If it was so, it would push the data rate to 4x of the original digital signal. Back then it was not fesable.
It's raw digital, all the filtering and OS is left for the receiver/DAC stage.
Old 30th December 2011, 10:10 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Ok so humour me........

What would happen if you fed the i2s out that was destined for the tda, into another 7220. This would then generate spdif based on the filtered data? Also I wonder how this would effect the sound at the tda? Not sure ive ever read about anyone trying multiple filters in line!
Old 30th December 2011, 09:58 PM   #6
amc184 is offline amc184  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

I wouldn't expect it to work. The SAA7220 is designed to receive non-oversampled data, you won't be able to just stack them. However, a modern S/P DIF transmitter, such as the DIT4192, shouldn't have any problem converting the filtered I2S output of a SAA7220 into a S/P DIF stream, if that's what you're trying to do.
Old 30th December 2011, 10:38 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

In my experience, SAA7220 does a fairly lousy job as OS filter. The number of FIR coeficients is limited (4x30 coeficients), based on what was technically fesable back then.
Old 31st December 2011, 12:46 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Was more from a curiosity point of view than trying to achieve anything. Surely the second filter would have no comprehension that the i2s has already passed a filter??
Old 31st December 2011, 12:52 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNic_real_one View Post
In my experience, SAA7220 does a fairly lousy job as OS filter.
Lousy in regards to sound quality or lousy in terms of stop-band rejection? What have you compared it to?

Quote:
The number of FIR coeficients is limited (4x30 coeficients), based on what was technically fesable back then.
Not to mention that the coefficients themselves are 12bit values. More would help in getting a steeper transition band (and hence more ringing) - I'm not myself yet convinced that longer means better.
Old 31st December 2011, 05:53 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

I have a Phillips with the SAA7220 and TDA1541. Replaced the OpAmps (LM833). Sounds artificial, that dry "CD sound" that everybody talks about and they keep repeating since the 90's. Some blaim the jitter, some the filters, some the fact that was a rush 16 bit job from the 14 bit that they had in mind. Probably the limited RAM that SAA7210 has doesn't help either (Sony parts had double that ammount).
Based on the stories here, I did try the NOS on it - even worse, back to OS. I sometimes pull it out and try to listen to it. To me, it is boredom.

Sure I can see the apealing side to it - BIG chips, BIG terminals, all trough-hole parts, any beginner can play with it. And whatever you do to it it still doesn't leave the feeling of "I'm done, perfect sound, now I can LISTEN the music". You keep on tinkering...

PS: I did hear once a Denon DCM-560. I did like it (the sound) and wanted to know what was different. CXD2500 with 32kB RAM. SM5845 as filter. PCM61P as DAC. I almost bought it - then I realized that the price was too high for what it was. A nicer CD player than my Phillips.

Last edited by SoNic_real_one; 31st December 2011 at 06:15 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!