Tube Based AKM4396 Output Stage

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Would this output stage work successfully for an AKM4396 DAC chip?

Attachments

• 100_1165.JPG
    100_1165.JPG
    258 KB · Views: 395
Would this output stage work successfully for an AKM4396 DAC chip?

Nothing appears to be faulty. I would make two suggestions which might improve the sound, though:

1) I never like when voltage output DAC datasheets say that they can drive 1k or 2k ohm loads. No doubt they can, but why load the DAC output more than necessary? I'd prefer to see a much larger load, maybe 20k ohms with 270pF in shunt. Noise will be a little higher, but I'd rather trade noise for distortion.

2) Depending on the load presented by the next stage, you might eliminate that MOSFET output buffer altogether.

Thanks for quick reply, will do.

How about grounding for the system would this be good.

Common star ground for all PSU's.
Heater (-) and mosfet buffers resistors on separate ground to main gnd
Tube Shield and 47K resistors on separate ground connected to main ground also connected to chassis, with RCA jacks not isolated from chassis.
DAC PCB ground connected to star ground and grid stopper resistors and capacitors connected to DAC PCB ground.

Thanks for quick reply, will do.

How about grounding for the system would this be good.

Common star ground for all PSU's.
Heater (-) and mosfet buffers resistors on separate ground to main gnd
Tube Shield and 47K resistors on separate ground connected to main ground also connected to chassis, with RCA jacks not isolated from chassis.
DAC PCB ground connected to star ground and grid stopper resistors and capacitors connected to DAC PCB ground.

Rather than comment directly, please allow me to send you to a rather comprehensive laypersons article here at diyAudio by Dave Davenport. http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/diya...udio-component-grounding-interconnection.html

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.