24/192 basic question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
....... the advantages of doing that are debatable, depending on your hardware setup.

Long ago I upsampled a 16 bit/44.1Khz signal to 16 bit/96khz . On playback from the hard drive the 96 khz file sounded different and preferable. However doing this DOES NOT mean that it improved the sound ! Something changed and most likely it might be better performance of the dac at 16bit/96khz . But I never went back to it . Might have lost something too !

One needs to do a very careful test. But what's not there in the 16/44.1 signal can never be introduced by a higher bit rate or higher sampling rate conversion of the original 16/44.1 signal. The conversion could add artifacts of it's own.
As mentioned by abraxalito it would probably sound different due to the hardware.
Nothing like trying it out yourself.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
First, I can't see why you would need 192KHz as a playback rate, 96KHz is plenty, tho many people want thins that don't make practical sense, so don't let that stop you.

Second. You need a player (source) and a DAC that can do that bitrate. Many good soundcards will do 196KHz these days. With USB it's just now becoming possible and affordable.

My Dell computer will play 192Khz thru it's internal soundcard, but there is no digital output so I'm stuck with the poor quality of soundcard circuits. I don't know of any Blu-Ray players that will output a 192Khz stream, but some might. Someone here should know. As stated above, if your computer has a Blu-Ray drive, you might be able to get the 196Khz stream (if it's there).

Can you give an example of the playback flow you wold like to do? Recording/Player/Output?

so connecting a blue ray drive via usb to my laptop will download the file (and play) a regular cd at the higher bit rate?
Thanks again,
Paul

No, as stated , you will need a blu-ray disc done at 24/192 bit rate and you never want to upsample, upsampling has worst sonics than the original 16/44 and yes getting a dac capable of 24/192 is the way to go.

DAC quality is all over the place, the difference is astonishing, 24/192 is noticeably better then 24/96.....

I recently took advantage of 24/96 technology through my panasonic blu ray player connected to a Beresford Caiman DAC.

What I do is download 24/96 material from here https://www.hdtracks.com/ then record the files on a dvd (make it look like a video DVD to the player using [FONT=Lucida Sans Unicode, Lucida Grande, sans-serif]HD-Audio Solo Ultra by Cirlinca) and pop it in the player. The player will output the 24/96 signal to the dac. [If no dac was available I could always make use of the analogue stereo output of the player itself].

The sound is great! Diana Crall's Christmass songs played from the cd vs the HD download on the exact same set up has impressive difference in favor of the later.
[/FONT]

....... I can't see why you would need 192KHz as a playback rate, 96KHz is plenty, tho many people want thins that don't make practical sense, so don't let that stop you......

This is a topic that's been discussed a lot earlier. Everytime I come across something about it I read it to see if there was a comparative test done to prove or disprove it. I would think that results depend on so many factors that it must be tough to come to a concrete conclusion(?).

I came across the following this morning. The link is given below. There is a lot to read on that page. So many interesting links that it's going to take a while to go through all of them. This one is only an excerpt:

"...More scientific evidence supports the need for accurate wideband amplification in subjectively "good sound": Reproduction of high frequencies measurably and dramatically stimulates increased brain activity, and "...[listeners] felt the sound containing [high frequencies] to be more pleasant than the same sound lacking [high frequencies and ultrasonics]... These results suggest the existence of a previously unrecognized response to complex sound containing particular types of high frequencies above the audible range. We term this phenomenon the 'hypersonic effect.'" Biological Effects of High Frequency Sound:

"Inaudible high-frequency sounds affect brain activity: hypersonic effect. J Neurophysiol 83: 3548-3558, 2000. Although it is generally accepted that humans cannot perceive sounds in the frequency range above 20 kHz, the question of whether the existence of such "inaudible" high-frequency components may affect the acoustic perception of audible sounds remains unanswered.

"In this study, we used noninvasive physiological measurements of brain responses to provide evidence that sounds containing high-frequency components (HFCs) above the audible range signicantly affect the brain activity of listeners. We used the gamelan music of Bali, which is extremely rich in HFCs with a nonstationary structure, as a natural sound source, dividing it into two components: an audible low-frequency component (LFC) below 22 kHz and an HFC above 22 kHz. Brain electrical activity and regional cerebral blood flow (rCBF) were measured as markers of neuronal activity while subjects were exposed to sounds with various combinations of LFCs and HFCs. None of the subjects recognized the HFC as sound when it was presented alone. Nevertheless, the power spectra of the alpha frequency range of the spontaneous electroencephalogram (alpha-EEG) recorded from the occipital region increased with statistical signicance when the subjects were exposed to sound containing both an HFC and an LFC, compared with an otherwise identical sound from which the HFC was removed (i.e., LFC alone).

"In contrast, compared with the baseline, no enhancement of alpha-EEG was evident when either an HFC or an LFC was presented separately. Positron emission tomography measurements revealed that, when an HFC and an LFC were presented together, the rCBF in the brain stem and the left thalamus increased signicantly compared with a sound lacking the HFC above 22 kHz but that was otherwise identical. Simultaneous EEG measurements showed that the power of occipital alpha-EEGs correlated signicantly with the rCBF in the left thalamus.

"Psychological evaluation indicated that the subjects felt the sound containing an HFC to be more pleasant than the same sound lacking an HFC. These results suggest the existence of a previously unrecognized response to complex sound containing particular types of high frequencies above the audible range. We term this phenomenon the 'hypersonic effect.'...."

Link : Milbert Amplifiers, Most Musical Amplifiers

Cheers.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Anyone for 32 bit / 384 Khz ?;);)

That is what i'm eager for (some hiend pro devices are already there -- i have a sample here (that i can't play -- i'm limited to 24/192)). 32 bits is really not necessary, but 8x Redbook was what i said would be needed when (to exceed the potential of analog) i 1st read the Sony paper in 1980. I was taking a graduate level stats course on sampling at the time.

Seems the guys with digital scopes won't really trust anything that is at least 5x higher than the frequency of interest.

dave

I saw a DAC at the RMAF made by Mytek Digital. These were firmware upgradable. If I understood them correctly , they could decode DSD and do PCM at 384Khz also . I think what is sold now doesn't do that yet but ( maybe DSD )......it's upgradable ! In the region of $1.5K . I heard it on headphones and it was excellent. One of the best sounds I heard at the show.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.