ES9023 DAC PCB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Did a lot of prototyping this weekend and got good results. I think the separate power connectors will be only one connector in the final version as it does not bring benefits. We are still busy though, please have some patience and please try to keep emailing via PM to a minimum. Questions like "does it work with cdplayer brand x ?" will not be answered. Keep in mind this is a DIY approach and not a final product. If you are looking for that take the Ebay route.

It is a "board and ES9023" group buy. It will require SMD work and a drive to do things yourself. I assemble the DACs in a relatively short time but some parts are tiny. I can not speak for Unixdeveloper but I think pre soldering either WM8804 or ES9023 is out of the question.

This DAC is worth the hassle. I am having a good time testing them but you should definitely not listen to my prejudiced opinion and try one yourself !

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Caps have been moved to another spot. Still no space for polypropylene caps I think unless you mount them at the underside of the PCB. We try to maximize layout for the best results but we can not change the PCB because of requests (although I like polypropylene caps too).

If you can tell me what make and type you will be using I can look into this this evening. Last chance !

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Do you expect a serious answer to that question ? I am surprised no one mentions Obbligato caps ;)

I will check if the FKP2 will fit. No guarantees. Keep in mind that ceramic caps are used normally so MKT/polyester is already a step up (for some a step down).

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
You can use the caps with the nicest colors, the best dielectric and the largest size when you do a PCB layout yourself for an output stage or something like that. Personally I don't use parts that are physically larger than the device itself. In DACs physically large parts with long wires make excellent antennas for the clock frequency and other RF that is around. In tube amps they will work OK I guess. If you really want to use such parts you could solder them straight on the RCA output connectors too, preferably at a distance from the DAC PCB.

But samoloko you bring a good idea ! I will check that possibility. We started off with SMD output caps but changed to through hole because we wanted to use film caps. Still I think the caps we used in the prototypes are very good. Forgot the brand, they are not Wima. I used PPS for decoupling on some of the DACs I built with good results.

Last edited:
i'm not into this GB as I have enough dacs, but having spent a fair bit of time and money fitting film caps into small places I can make some suggestions. for starters massimo has the right idea above, you can have 1206 or 1210 in between the PTH for a 5-10mm box cap.

for pth: sunring copper foil/pps film are great small caps, but only available up to 10nf, next the relcap RTE polystyrene film/foil, then vishay 1840, then Rifa/evox and only after that wima, wima are pretty average IMO, people buy them because they are a pretty red colour.

SMD: panasonic PPS ECH series, evox rifa pps, wima

agree that puttig huge caps on a dac PCB is just asking for trouble

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.