WM8805 upgrade board (cs8414 pins) - dissapointed - Page 14 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th April 2012, 10:05 AM   #131
Account disabled at member's request

Hi,

Well, software is going to be a headache it seems. There's no available code for LCDuino. Linux Works says it is hard to program, so it must be extremely hard to program ! He says he hasn't given up... but that sounds like he wants to !

There might be code for programming through Linux on the Wolfson site. I'm not exactly new to Linux but I'm far from feeling comfortable with it and rolled back to Windows after a few months with it.

So, what to do... well, I'll check out the Wolfson site when I have a bit of time tonight, but it does seem Wolfson have made the WM8805 a tough nut for DIYers to crack.

Cheers,

Tom
Old 10th April 2012, 08:17 PM   #132
gfiandy is offline gfiandy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Linux isn't really a good way to control hardware. You have to create complex drivers that work though the scheduling of a multitasking operating system. I am fairly sure there is no code on the Wolfson site.

I had a look at the dev board to see if I could make it compatible with Wolfsons support software however they have put a micro co roller the board an the PC talks to that via USB. So that won't work.

It looks like we need to write the firmware from scratch, I can put a micro and even a display on if we can find some one to code it.

Andrew
Old 10th April 2012, 09:22 PM   #133
zinsula is offline zinsula  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Hmmm, would be cool to get someone jump in for the code.
Member glt H i F i D U I N O
or member linuxworks (i think he plans a multiple s/pdif in-out platform) might be approached....
Old 11th April 2012, 12:42 AM   #134
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfiandy View Post
It looks like we need to write the firmware from scratch, I can put a micro and even a display on if we can find some one to code it.
If you put a Cortex M0 on the board (say an LPC1113 just as example) then you can use the code I'm planning to write. I'm developing a DAC using an WM8805 and will get around to writing that code over the next couple of months. However the caveat is I'm not interested in sample rates up to 192k - so anyone wanting more than 96k will have to extend the code themselves. As far as I recall the WM8805 has to be gently coaxed into locking at the higher rates.
Old 11th April 2012, 02:14 AM   #135

Hi,

96Khz is fine with me because I have no 192 sources. What about everyone else ?

.... and yeah, the datasheet seems to indicate that 192 can be a pita and 176.4 even more so (page 29).

I found Linux support for WM8804 but that is one in & out so no good for me, or, I'm sure, many others.

So, do we wait for our generous helper Abraxalito to do the code before moving ahead ? It would seem wise since the code is essential...

My Taobao board arrived so I quickly hooked it up and took some snaps. It is locked onto a 96/24 optical source. I won't get a chance to test it properly until the weekend.

The clock is 5V which I'm sure must be too high - surely this girl needs 3.3V ?

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by KlipschKid; 11th April 2012 at 02:23 AM.
Old 11th April 2012, 02:26 AM   #136
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlipschKid View Post
So, do we wait for our generous helper Abraxalito to do the code before moving ahead ? It would seem wise since the code is essential...
I suggest you go ahead and slap one of these CPUs down on the board. I'll want to use the I2C (2 wire protocol, Wolfson don't call it I2C coz they'd have to get a license I guess!) as that has hardware support on the LPC111X. If you don't much like the 48pin fine pitch package then NXP are working on some more DIY-friendly packages but I have no idea if they're available yet.

The relevant datasheet is here:

http://www.nxp.com/documents/data_sheet/LPC111X.pdf

<edit> Another alternative if you don't fancy putting the CPU on the board itself is to make your board like a shield (Arduino style) that piggy backs onto an already available Cortex dev board. If you prefer this route, I'll suggest such a board and give you pinouts etc. I'll be a cheap one (like under $10).

Last edited by abraxalito; 11th April 2012 at 02:28 AM.
Old 11th April 2012, 04:14 AM   #137

The NXP one looks good - SO20 is easy enough. It seems worth waiting for the most diy friendly one and it also means it'll probably stay in production for longer.

Personally I'm happy to have the cpu on the same board but I'd hope the design creates a separate ground plane for it, so the noise it produces doesn't contaminate the wm8805 ground. This would mean using jumpers across the two.

Something like AMB does with the volume control board :

However, a piggyback is also good. What other factors should help us choose ?

Last edited by KlipschKid; 11th April 2012 at 04:19 AM.
Old 11th April 2012, 08:36 AM   #138
diyAudio Member

If you opt for the DIY friendly package then I have no idea when it will actually arrive from NXP. Looking at their website, it seems the TSSOP20 is nearer to production than the SO20. SO20 is still at 'development' status whereas TSSOP20 is at 'qualification' (which means they're currently sampling).
Old 11th April 2012, 09:12 AM   #139

Hi,

Well, I'm keen to keep this as a PCB project rather than a completed board, so that means diy friendly. I can do little tsot but a 48 pin is too much, so maybe a completed piggyback is the best option ?

If people want a fully completed board they can get the Ebay one or go for IanCanada's completed fifo Ti DIX spdif board (US$90).

I'd be very interested to know if the WM8805 is likely to be better or worse than Iancanada's project.

Asynchronous I2S FIFO project, an ultimate weapon to fight the jitter
Old 11th April 2012, 09:28 AM   #140
diyAudio Member

Here's a shot of a relatively cheap CPU board - the advantage of going for this one is it has on-board USB interface which allows programming via FlashMagic without needing any kind of external adaptor. Its slightly smaller than a credit card. If you'd like to go with this then the top board would need two 24pin dual row headers on it, one top and one bottom.

IanCanada's project is a little more ambitious in that he's implemented a FIFO to control jitter.
Attached Images
File Type: png lpc_M0.png (167.4 KB, 53 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!