WM8805 upgrade board (cs8414 pins) - dissapointed - Page 11 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th December 2011, 03:14 PM   #101
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph K View Post
The simple, ferrite beaded 110ohm version, I would call an "open end" for all practical purposes above 1MHz.
If that's all down the to ferrite bead(s) then it certainly looks like he specified the wrong part for that. How could the circuit work at all if it looks OC above 1MHz? SPDIF needs at the very least up to 6MHz just for the lowest sample rates.
Old 8th December 2011, 03:33 PM   #102
Previously: Kuei Yang Wang

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxalito View Post
You've successfully put your finger on the very reason I'm not an SPDIF hater like the rest of you That reason being minimal noise when done right owing to relative ease of isolation from nasty fast logic and CM hash.
No reason for I2S to not be isolated. You can even use SPDIF Transformers, if you know how to use them (and they do not have this stoopeed screen).

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxalito View Post
So I reckon the WM8805 is definitely worth persevering with.
Yes it is... But it's a major PITA in SW Mode. It is okay in HW mode only, bot no 176.4KHz.

Ciao T
Old 8th December 2011, 03:56 PM   #103
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorstenL View Post
No reason for I2S to not be isolated.
Three transformers rather than one? Also the data can't be DC free without some RTZ kind of modulation. So that's at least 3X the coupling capacitance plus some extra logic (maybe level shifters too) to do the mod/demod. Or do you have a more cool solution?
Old 1st January 2012, 03:27 PM   #104
diyAudio Member

Hello,

I'm configuring the WM8805 in hardware mode. Some pins are used for configuration AND output of error flags. According to the spec sheet if a pin needs to be HIGH for configuration it's connected to V+ via a 10K resistor. The same pin can then, I assume, output a low/high for the error flag.

Problem is that I need that pin LOW on startup instead of HIGH. How would I achieve this? A capacitor to ground? What value?

Anything wrong with grounding some pins for hardware config. even if these are supposed to output various error flags? Or should I use 10K to ground as well?

Thanks!

Last edited by mfrimu; 1st January 2012 at 03:50 PM.
Old 1st January 2012, 09:47 PM   #105
diyAudio Member

I figureed it out, 10K to ground as pulldown resistor should work.
Old 3rd January 2012, 01:15 AM   #106
diyAudio Member

Default WM8805 in hardware mode works better !

I managed to put the WM8805 board in hardware mode and it locks into 44.1Khz SPDIF correctly and works well !

However it has trouble locking onto 24/96 which I find weird. I wonder if my pulldown resistor to ground on pin GP0 is working correctly since I also don't get the Error_Flag working either (shared on the same pin).

When fed 24/96 it sounds as if it is partially locking - like a radio that drifts every 2-3 seconds with some white noise in between stations and no bass. I assume this is a locking issue and not a 16bit vs 24bit output issue (pin GP0 again).

PS: Also the CEN I/V sounds better than the stock OpAmps.
Old 3rd January 2012, 03:27 AM   #107
diyAudio Member

Glad to hear it I hope you work out your 96kHz problem .

It seems others are more interested in talking about their personnel preferences of SPDIF instead of keeping on track and assisting in sorting this problem out which seems to be an ongoing theme in Diyaudio .

I think there should be less bragging and more helping from the more knowledgeable in this forum .
Old 3rd January 2012, 05:19 AM   #108
Previously: Kuei Yang Wang

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfrimu View Post
I managed to put the WM8805 board in hardware mode and it locks into 44.1Khz SPDIF correctly and works well !

However it has trouble locking onto 24/96 which I find weird. I wonder if my pulldown resistor to ground on pin GP0 is working correctly since I also don't get the Error_Flag working either (shared on the same pin).
Plesase send me a message with your e-mail. I can send you an excerpt of the schematic of a DAC Board with the WM8805 in Hardware mode, which we did for an OEM Customer. This is known working, so you should be able to copy this. I cannot post the schematic due to copyright/IP issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfrimu View Post
PS: Also the CEN I/V sounds better than the stock OpAmps.
That should not really come as too much of a surprise, right?

Ciao T
Old 9th April 2012, 08:55 AM   #109
Account disabled at member's request

Hi,

I'm reviving this thread because I've seen another wm8805 software controlled board available, which might pair well with AMB's y2 DAC, and I wondered if anyone had tried it ? Any thoughts on this design ? It seems quite similar to the implementation in a 4x TD1543 DAC. Anyone tried this ? Any obvious problems/upgrades needed ?
On Ebay
eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices
Same on Taobao
多功能解码接收切换板 带4种音频数据输出格式-淘宝网

And the DAC on Ebay
DAC TDA1543*4+WM8805 NOS USB, Optical, Coaxial input | eBay
and Taobao
TDA1543 4.0U 同轴 光纤 USB 接收-淘宝网

Same seller ?

Thanks for any comments.

Tom
Old 9th April 2012, 09:45 AM   #110
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlipschKid View Post
Hi,

I'm reviving this thread because I've seen another wm8805 software controlled board available, which might pair well with AMB's y2 DAC, and I wondered if anyone had tried it ? Any thoughts on this design ? It seems quite similar to the implementation in a 4x TD1543 DAC. Anyone tried this ? Any obvious problems/upgrades needed ?
On Ebay
eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices
Same on Taobao
多功能解码接收切换板 带4种音频数据输出格式-淘宝网

And the DAC on Ebay
DAC TDA1543*4+WM8805 NOS USB, Optical, Coaxial input | eBay
and Taobao
TDA1543 4.0U 同轴 光纤 USB 接收-淘宝网

Same seller ?

Thanks for any comments.

Tom
This is from the same seller I would not buy anything from raindrop_hui as they do not know how to design audio electronics and have proven themselves time and again to be unreliable and un-supportive of their customers .

I have for example made the mistake of purchasing their 4 X Wolfson DAC which had the transformer bolts missing and the output capacitors were all installed backwards as well as the receiver would not lock on some 24/96 recordings (an ongoing theme with raindrop_hui) .

The second TDA1514A DAC had a faulty receiver chip .

And the current Wolfson WM8805 to CS8414 converter upon emailing raindrop_hui and informing her that the chip would lose lock after several minutes her first reply was to for me to completely redesign the power supply with her suggested design and then later on to say it was a waste of time to supply me with a working Wolfson WM8805 to CS8414 converter .

So from my experience and many many others keep well away from raindrop_hui designed audio electronics as they never work correctly or are faulty as well as you do not get support from raindrop_hui .

Hide this!Advertise here!