signal splitter - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th November 2011, 09:33 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default signal splitter

I have a not so popular project. I need an audio signal split in 5 times the input signal. I've read some posts on various forums, so the idea is to put in parallel to the input signal as many buffers as I like (seen some schematics on the net that should work) using:
- transistor (JFET preffering due to its sound qualities) as voltage follower/buffer
- op-amp as buffer
The Gain of each buffer/voltage follower has to be 1.
The audio signal would mostly be comming from a laptop, Ipod, DAC, maybe thru an active crossover,....to various tube amplifiers.

Now, my question is which one should I use (J201, OPA27....just shooting versions, but I will consider any kind of high quality suggestion)?

I really do care about sound quality so what i'm looking for is high quality components.

Matej
Old 11th November 2011, 11:18 AM   #2
DF96 is online now DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Most op-amps can do a unity gain buffer. The main issue is not which op-amp, but details of the implementation such as correct grounding and avoiding the effects of stray capacitance.
Old 11th November 2011, 02:31 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

OK, i understand that, but there is difference in sound by using various op-amps, right!? Or are you saying that connected as a unity gain buffer there's no difference in frequency range and/or sound no matter which op-amp I pick? That's what I'm interested in.
Old 11th November 2011, 02:34 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I had in my mind something like that...
Old 11th November 2011, 02:57 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

You may get different answers from different people. The audibility or otherwise of correctly-used op-amps is debated vigourously on here. A unity-gain buffer operating at line level type signal voltages into a relatively undemanding load impedance should minimise any differences that there might actually be, so my advice is to design and build the circuit using a socket. Then you can try as many different chips as you like. I doubt if you will hear much difference, if any.
Old 11th November 2011, 07:36 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depends how you look at it) in audio world everything is a matter of personal taste. Frankly I'm fed up with statements like "...this op-amp is definitely best sounding...", especially when it comes to question "which one is the best?" (stupid me for asking that). But in reality all I wanted to hear was what you just wrote (I should explain myself better next time) and that is for line level signal just about any op-amp would do the job for there are differeces so small , if any at all.
Any words of wisdom about using the JFET transistor as voltage follower sound-wise?
Old 11th November 2011, 08:20 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Sorry, never tried it. In theory a JFET makes a bad follower because it has such low gain. The pure second-order (in the ideal case) distortion of a common-source JFET amp is not what happens in a follower. However, second-order will still dominate and there could be lots of it due to the low gain - this may be why some people like it.
Old 11th November 2011, 08:29 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Check this and let me know what you think...J201 is being used.
AMZ - Guitar Effects & JFET Splitter

Hide this!Advertise here!