How does the Krell SPB 32X DAC compare with current DACs? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st November 2011, 03:16 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default How does the Krell SPB 32X DAC compare with current DACs?

I am considering replacing my 10 year old Krell SPB-32X with a current budget DAC (Cambridge DAC Magic) in order to decode 96/24 tracks...

I can sell the Krell for about the cost of a current budget DAC - but the fact that the Krell still sounds great make me wonder if I should keep it, considering that it originally cost $3,500. and is built like the proverbial ton of bricks...

So my question is will there be a major noticeable improvement in the sound after exchanging it for a current DAC? Or am I comparing Apples and oranges?

Old 1st November 2011, 06:37 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
What DACs does it use? I googled for it and the manual doesn't actually say very much. A picture with the lid off would be more illuminating but none is hi-res enough to read the chips. My guess is perhaps its using PCM63-K?

I wouldn't sell it if you can only get the price of a current budget DAC for it. Its probably a great foundation for modding, given that Krells are built like proverbial brick sh... - oh i see you already mentioned that.
Old 1st November 2011, 09:34 PM   #3
josha is offline josha  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

According to this site it's a 2 x PCM58P-K machine (check though, I only have experience of a couple of cdp's on that list). My guess is that the PSU's in the Krell will be excellent and may well give it the edge over modern 'higher spec' dac's. As abraxalito suggests - great platform for modding!
Old 1st November 2011, 09:40 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxalito View Post
What DACs does it use? I googled for it and the manual doesn't actually say very much. A picture with the lid off would be more illuminating but none is hi-res enough to read the chips. My guess is perhaps its using PCM63-K?

I wouldn't sell it if you can only get the price of a current budget DAC for it. Its probably a great foundation for modding, given that Krells are built like proverbial brick sh... - oh i see you already mentioned that.
I will open it up and take some close-ups ASAP. I also looked in the very un informative manual and all it mentions are some Motorola DSP-56001 "processors". What would be their function?

Get back to you after I open the monster
Old 2nd November 2011, 12:40 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by josha View Post
According to this site it's a 2 x PCM58P-K machine (check though, I only have experience of a couple of cdp's on that list). My guess is that the PSU's in the Krell will be excellent and may well give it the edge over modern 'higher spec' dac's. As abraxalito suggests - great platform for modding!
I checked and it is a 2 x PCM68P - K made (made in Japan). repeat PCM-68P.
Here is a link to a series of pix I just took of the unit:
Picasa Web Albums - Claus Jensen - Krell SBP-32X

Old 2nd November 2011, 12:44 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Sorry, I obviously need new glasses...the DACs are PCM58P repeat 58P

Hide this!Advertise here!