Macmini-Toslink-Dac Magic ... harsh sound

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,
I have got a sound server composed by a mac mini (audirvana to read music files) and a dac magic, connected both by a short toslink cable; the analog out is connected to a Bellini pre by semi balanced DIY cables (tasker microphonic cable).
Comparing the sound server performances with my cd reader (cec cd3300r) I hear an harsh sound with sound server.
Could I have improvements using a USB-SPDIF converter (like M2TECH Hiface) or changing something else?
Thanks and sorry for my bad english.

Stefano

With no expertise in computer audio and little to no understanding with audio formats, I have had poor results with MANY different macs running iTunes to the optical output. Other sources have been able to output optical spdif with no issues. At this point, my best solution was to go USB to coax spdif. I purchased the minidsp converter, which also comes with I2S output for the future.

Hi all,
a semi-balanced cable, as commonly named, is a cable grounded only on one side plugs.
I'm playing hi res files, usually 24/96 flacs.
The installed OS is leopard, the cpu is a 1.66 MHz intel dual core, the RAM amounts to 2GB.
The music files reader (audirvana New OSX Opensource audiophile player : Audirvana | Computer Audiophile) seems to be on better ones group, I'll try the one proposed.
Thanks all :)

thats what i said, i work in the cable business and I've never seen a semi-balanced cable, besides i would call something grounded only on one end a mistake

I know what you mean, its a dodgy way to hook up balanced gear to single ended inputs, but its not anything more than single ended using a cable with an XLR connector on one side

Last edited:
yes and notice what the member Nic Rhodes says on that page directly after its explained what this single person calls 'semi-balanced'

Rubbish jargo then. It is a screened unbalanced wire, nothing to do with balanced what so ever!! Yes I have seen this before and all I would say is urge 'caution' re capacitance of your cable

I concur...

Sorry, what does it mean 'rubbish jargo', something like fried air? :D

Coming back in topic, well, the signal cable is only a tasker grounded on one plug only (will never call it as semi balanced :) ).
I am planning to try new software first and a USB/SPDIF coaxial converter after.
After saw the dac magic inside I think nothing to do, except capacitors improvement, unfortunately I am not skilled on SMD.
Have a nice week end :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.