Very interesting parallel CS4398 DIY DAC with 5 inputs and display

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am going to build a digital line level preamp with tube output stage. After reading loads of posts about wonderful sounding Chinese DAC’s, again and again my attention is drawn to this good looking full featured DAC. On DIY audio there is not much written about this DAC. Has anyone already experience with it?

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

It is available from several Hong Kong Ebay-ers, so this is only one example.

One of the features is a CS4398 DAC in parallel configuration. Am I correct this lowers distortion and noise, or are there more benefits?

Peter

Am I correct this lowers distortion and noise, or are there more benefits?

I'm not sure that you are correct. The datasheet for the CS4398 shows the dynamic range as typically 117dB (unweighted). The measured results displayed on the eBay page give a figure of 112dB. THD+N is claimed to be -107dB typical, the measurements on this board are giving -103dB.

Unless their layout is markedly suboptimal, it appears that adding an extra DAC has degraded both figures significantly.

Jean-Paul,
After many years of designing and building amplifiers this is my first step in digital audio. With prebuild boards I think there will always be things left to desire. I mainly focused on the high performance voltage out DAC (in parallel configuration). Because I want to use it as digital preamp, build in features as remote controlled input choice, volume control and display etc. are interesting features.
I ordered my board today and will explore to what level it can be pushed.
Peter

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
"There is always something to desire". That is absolutely right but when you know beforehand that it has a mediocre receiver why make all the effort ? A chain is as strong as the weakest link. Even if it has high performance parallel DAC chips: when fed with jittery data they won't perform as they can. HifimeDIY offers a CS4398 DAC with one of the best receivers and low jitter clocks on board...

Features might be nice but I would prefer low jitter and thus better quality. Matter of taste I guess.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.