Measurements of an ES9023 DAC - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th November 2011, 04:34 AM   #31
diyAudio Member

Hi Cersepn,

Well said Patrick...

I've spent what little time I have had for fun stuff lately working on the FX5.

I left off comparing component changes in the follower/LPF and looking forward to comparing the 9022 vs. the 9023. These are in work and I'm sure to will get back to them in the next few weeks. I also want to do some critical listening to compare the simple filter output to that of the follower/LPF.

We'll post more details as we get there and I'm happy to answer any questions, as I know Patrick is as well.

Dave
Old 10th November 2011, 04:58 AM   #32
EUVL is offline EUVL  Europe
diyAudio Member

I am partly at fault, as I am the one delaying Dave's progress.
But that's only between the two of us.

Sorry Dave. Family issues to solved. Will get back to it this weekend, I promise.

Patrick
Old 10th November 2011, 06:05 AM   #33
diyAudio Member

Hi Patrick,

No problem at all on my end and no apologies necessary! Family always come first and I have had my hands full as well...

Dave
Old 10th November 2011, 06:28 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

Here is one "independent" comment about the ES9022(23) as compared to various possible implementations of the ES9018, for example.

Anybody using the new ESS Vout DAC (ES9022)?

Patrick
Old 22nd November 2011, 01:16 PM   #35
diyAudio Member

First of all, great job Dave!

nice and solid implementation you have realized.. I do agree ess9023 is sounding very good, indeed. wide stage, good sonics.

my setup is very simple using separate regulator for ess9023 and batteries for local clock (running a 60Mhz standard oscillator). i2s feed using a modified hiface.

I'm testing different caps and found your recommendation post back in June Anybody using the new ESS Vout DAC (ES9022)?

did you change anything since then?

Quote:
If it proves to work as well as it seems to, I'll share some details.
Dave
interested in your PSU setup and filtering section.. I see TO220 fixed to the bottom case in the middle section of the board, are those pre-regs?

kind regards
Valeriano
Old 23rd November 2011, 04:02 AM   #36
diyAudio Member

Valeriano,

Thank you for the compliment. I enjoy the DAC very much. It is easy to build when using the recommendations from that link.The only challenge is the size of the SMT components!

Not much has changed in the implementation from the post you referenced. Right now (as time allows anyway) I am listening to and measuring different imnplementations of the output filter/buffer and am going to compare the 9022 to the 9023 next to see if there are differences that can be measured or seen. I am also collaborating with Patrick (EUVL) to see if there are differences we can detect between all MLCC and all film bypass construction.

The line PSU is pretty straight forward. It uses conventional toroids with additional HF noise filtering on the secondary side before and after the rectifers. The TO220 devices are mosfets used as you suspected, pre-regulators that also substantially reduce the ripple and improve rejection in the audible range and above.

I am probably going to change to a different output filter/buffer and go to one transformer. Using 2SK170s for the follower reduces the voltage necessary to achieve acceptable distortion from the buffer, eliminating the need for the higher voltage supply and the second transformer...

I'll post some more when I have it.
Dave
Old 25th November 2011, 10:02 PM   #37
diyAudio Member

I'll add one more suggestion - DO NOT use the limiting resistor. While it may reduce clipping for signals we likely never will see in music, it's use is very detrimental to the sound.

Dave
Old 26th November 2011, 11:35 PM   #38
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzfish View Post
I'll add one more suggestion - DO NOT use the limiting resistor. While it may reduce clipping for signals we likely never will see in music, it's use is very detrimental to the sound.

Dave
Hello

Where there is a limiting resistor ?

I don't that resistor in the data sheet.

Thank

Bye

Gaetan

Last edited by gaetan8888; 26th November 2011 at 11:37 PM.
Old 27th November 2011, 04:26 AM   #39
diyAudio Member

Optional Rc at pin 6 ( // 1F ).
It is in the datasheet.

Patrick
Old 27th November 2011, 04:34 AM   #40
diyAudio Member

Hi Gaetan, Patrick,

In the 9023 data sheet it is R8 in the schematic example on page 7. More information is on page 10 for "Output Voltage" specifications and at the bottom of the same page.

Dave

Hide this!Advertise here!