how to make use of all dac signal outputs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I am making my own dac using cs4397 dac cs8416 reciever chips....I have had a great result not using an output stage and just feeding the R minus and L minus analogue outputs thru a volume pot then 3.3uf output caps, straight to an amp. How can I make use of the R plus and L plus outputs this chip also provides?

qusp:

Like many things in high-end audio, the issue is one of trading off the lessor of two evils in a given context. One could add an output buffer stage to isolate the impedance affects of having the volume pot. immediately at the output, but then one would also get the consequences of an additional active stage. There's no universally correct answer for it depends on the context presented by your system. In this case, the amplifier input impedance and interconnect capacitance.

Yes, the output cap. should be located so as to keep D.C. from flowing through the volume pot.

Last edited:
thanks for the tip, I will try this tomorrow. Can you tell me why it is bad to have DC going thru the vol pot?. The sound I am hearing now is very good....I was aware of the dc issue but I figured the cap after the vol pot would block any dc and I used this set up also because the 3.3uf's are in the amplifier and I have been told that a carbon/wiper volume pot generates dc itself so therefore needs a cap after it...Its a genuine question...I am not trying to be a smart ***..I am trying to learn...thanks alan

thanks for the tip, I will try this tomorrow. Can you tell me why it is bad to have DC going thru the vol pot?. The sound I am hearing now is very good....I was aware of the dc issue but I figured the cap after the vol pot would block any dc and I used this set up also because the 3.3uf's are in the amplifier and I have been told that a carbon/wiper volume pot generates dc itself so therefore needs a cap after it...Its a genuine question...I am not trying to be a smart ***..I am trying to learn...thanks alan

A d.c. current through the volume pot. will produce a low frequency noise burst whenever the pot. is adjusted. You may have noticed this effect already.

Hi, I put a cap before the volume pot as suggested but it never made any audable difference to be honest....but I went back to connecting the dac to a valve srpp obviously thru a cap to the grid....I was wrong...connecting a dac directly to a tripath does sound very very clear but it lacks punch...without the output stage its too weedy but the clarity is fantastic...I prefer the extra punch and dynamics of the valve...I have seen on the aikido website you can connect the differential outputs to the valve...negative thru the lower grid and positive thru the lower cathode...so that is the next plan I am not sure if the resistor values given to load the dac op amps will be the same for srpp but I just going to give it a try and see what happens..thanks Alan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.