Hiface SPDIF galvanic isolated - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd September 2011, 08:19 AM   #1
Koenjer is offline Koenjer  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Question Hiface SPDIF galvanic isolated

I have an PC with a M2tech Hiface spdif stick.
This connects with my Rotel processor.

I'm reinstalling the 220v supply to my HIFI stack. And I would like to put the PC on a different phase then my processor and amp.

But there is still the spdif connection between the PC and the processor.
I know there is an transformer on the Hiface side and on the rotel side.

I found this quote on a forum:

"Internally the hiFace uses three DCDC converters to power the Cypress USB controller, the dual oscillators, and the SPDIF converter. Unfortunately the ground of the digital output is connected via 1 kOhm to the USB ground instead of being galvanically isolated which is highly preferable on the S/PDIF output. If the digital input on a listener's DAC is not galvanically isolated either then computer's power supply will be connected to the audio system via the 1 kOhm on the digital input ground pin. This is a very good reason to use a MacBook Pro or different laptop running on battery power eliminating the direct connection to a noisy and cheap switching power supply."

This is the input of the rotel:
Click the image to open in full size.

How can I make a full galvanic isolation?

Last edited by Koenjer; 23rd September 2011 at 08:42 AM. Reason: additional information
Old 23rd September 2011, 08:36 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
Use a transformer on the SPDIF output. Bear in mind though that 'full galvanic isolation' does not by any stretch of the imagination guarantee immunity from common-mode noise. A transformer with under a pF of coupling capacitance might get jolly close though, such as some of those from Scientific Conversions.

Hide this!Advertise here!