ESS9018 - try new, try more... - Page 19 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th May 2013, 10:01 PM   #181
Coris is offline Coris  Norway
diyAudio Member

I just do not understand what so much "noise" and contradictory theoretical discussions... Is not more easy, and more reasonable from your part merce, quasp to just try yourself this solution on yours gears? One do not need to try with expensive caps. Just solder some normal caps near to the chip and hear the result. If it may be something you like, then try with better caps, bigger capacity, and maybe such "construction", as I did.

I have nothing against critics and discussions, but I can observe that in this case it happen something special. Someone, who never ever come out with a practical solution, a picture or a even a sketch of theirs ideas, about something or another in this field, come out systematically with only critics to somebody else, who actually do it practical things, experiment and experience something, try to find better solutions, and publish here some results.
You have something against this solution published here. That`s right! But you have nothing to support with your opposition. Only assertions. Do you really think that I soldered together some components, took a picture and published it here to be famous?
You wrong! I do not care about such and I do not need it.
I experienced about something, and I think to share that with somebody else, who may eventually be interested in the same, or may need a better idea for his experiments, in the way to find that "best of"...
There is not here the place (in my opinion) for contest; who know best and most about everything. I can not even see that it may be a reward for this... But it may be a place where one or another it may share his ideas for the benefit of the others.
I know that I may not explain very well about things, but I know very well what I'm doing. I published those things here because I experienced about, and I had positive results this way. Somebody doubt about? Is OK. Come out and critic. Is this OK too. But try it first to know what you critic about...

In one way it is enough funny all this here... It were happen nothing in this thread for many months. I could never ever see quasp or somebody else coming in this time and publish something in the subject of this thread, or heaving a what so ever (professional) contribution. But after I have published this last picture, it come out suddenly the professionals with "opinions" about how stupid this it may be, how wrong is, how this not even work at all, and so on... Isn't it this funny?

Last edited by Coris; 20th May 2013 at 10:18 PM.
Old 21st May 2013, 07:38 AM   #182
marce is offline marce  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I believe most now know my views on clock modifications, the majority I believe cause more problems than they solve. This is not me being evil, mean or nasty, but stems from the work I do on PCBs regarding signal integrity EMC etc. Same with decoupling, there is a wealth of info out there.
I have had a brief look around the ESS site and data last night, there is a good publication on how to improve the DACs working conditions, I will try and get some daqta sheets, or if someone has them I would appreciate it.
RayCtechs wide ball comment is a bit strange, as we are talking about decoupling the avcc pins of a DAC device!
Old 21st May 2013, 08:55 AM   #183
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marce View Post
I believe most now know my views on clock modifications, the majority I believe cause more problems than they solve. This is not me being evil, mean or nasty, but stems from the work I do on PCBs regarding signal integrity EMC etc. Same with decoupling, there is a wealth of info out there.
I have had a brief look around the ESS site and data last night, there is a good publication on how to improve the DACs working conditions, I will try and get some daqta sheets, or if someone has them I would appreciate it.
RayCtechs wide ball comment is a bit strange, as we are talking about decoupling the avcc pins of a DAC device!
I do not doubt about your competence in this field, and I will not discuss this. As you maybe know already there are thing in this universe which are not all the time exactly as we believe, have learned about, knows or are use with. What is wrong with trying new ways? If it may be wrong way, then record that and correct, if not then it is a benefit to find a better/new way...
Good to know that you decided to take a closer look on this subject.
I personally think that is a benefit to hear sometime what others have to say first, than just reject everything which is not in the template one are use with for long time, or by other reasons...
You may PM me to send you the datasheet of the chip.

PS. Some more details about the last picture. One may have impression of a quite long connecting wires. The picture is enough enlarged. In real the length of connections is between 2 and 3 mm. There is much better connections than the PCB traces. The wires are silver and bigger section than the traces. The routing of the wires it may be even improved. It is to be seen in the picture a ground plane under the caps (over the chip)...

Last edited by Coris; 21st May 2013 at 09:08 AM.
Old 21st May 2013, 09:04 AM   #184
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

you are not pushing the boundaries of science here Cooarass, rather just ignoring a significant body of fairly basic and rock solid electronics practices. You dont record anything, just declare it as improvement.
Old 21st May 2013, 09:23 AM   #185
diyAudio Member

Thank you qusp for your always high valuable/priceless (even free) contributions to the DIY community and specially to this thread...
Old 21st May 2013, 09:41 AM   #186
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

thankyou for your gargantuan efforts in pursuit of an ever increasing confusion of the subject matter.
Old 21st May 2013, 12:51 PM   #187
diyAudio Member

Coris, I ask questions and sometimes post a comment. And most of what I do is to promote discussion and try to get the persons view and beliefs on what they are doing. It is not only here, but at work I do work for numerous EE's and quite often you will get strange request, I will then question the request and if I disagree, will say so. I have always questioned what not only other do but myself, and question my own views and belief's more than I do others, thus I learn and my views change... nothing personal or malicious
As to clocks, don't take it as personal, it is a general comment and view I have, usually when someone replaces a perfectly adequate clock with one on the end of 6" of single core wire.

My main concern would be the increase in inductance with the wires.
I have sent a PM.

Cheers and Beers

Old 21st May 2013, 03:17 PM   #188
diyAudio Member

I really do not know what you refer to about that clock at the end of a 6" single core wire...
It may be a misunderstanding here. Have you seen something like this in the pictures I have published? Or I have claimed that a such configuration is something reasonable?
I just sustained the opposite about long clock traces. As you may see in one of my pictures, I have soldered the oscillator output directly to the chip pin...
A little bit confused about this subject...
Old 21st May 2013, 05:58 PM   #189
diyAudio Member

There was nothing personal or aimed at you, it was a general comment.
Old 21st May 2013, 06:13 PM   #190
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marce View Post
There was nothing personal or aimed at you, it was a general comment.
It is all right. But the comment have nothing to do with the subject, my interventions/contributions in this thread...
Anyway, we may consider closed this aspect.

Hide this!Advertise here!