ESS9018 - try new, try more... - Page 17 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th October 2012, 01:03 PM   #161
Coris is offline Coris  Norway
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiodesign View Post
Where you have buy it ?
Farnell. In an earlier post Joe mentioned the part number too...
Old 11th November 2012, 02:51 PM   #162
diyAudio Member

Hi folks (and Joe Rasmussen)!

I think to "pay back" to Joe for his advice to use an SAW oscillator to clock ESS9018. The 125Mhz SAW oscillate like a charm and the beautiful sound is coming out of Sabre chip...

But Joe and others, you may try to battery power the oscillator for ESS9018...

Is quite simple and the result is... not dramatic, but more subtle... Is like one switch the TV signal from standard to HD (on an HD display). So, more details (in the shadows... ) in the sound stage, more nuances, more definition in the resulting sound.
I`ve used a mobile phone battery, 1,6A/h. I had this at the moment, but it works for sure everything else (3,7v). Of course is not way to be used an regulator after this battery. The delivered current per hour is so large comparing to the needs of the oscillator (30mA), that will not be problem to loose the power for the clock. When is to turn off the "machine", then the battery will be charged again. I do not know yet how will react the oscillator to the discharging tension variation. The oscillator is specified to work in parameters for +/-0,3v power variation. This mean something between 3,6 - 3,0v. The battery deliver 3,8v soon after is charged, so one may lower the tension for the oscillator to the max safe specified (3,6v). An resistor will do this. I think will be not any problem with this variation, but I will observe what is happen with the oscillator while the battery is discharging...

So, try it! Carefully calculate to assure the right tension and the needed current for the oscillator you have from a Li-Ion battery. A relay will connect and disconnect the power accordingly for the oscillator when power ON in your system set up. When turning the unit off then the battery may be charged from a dedicated and good enough quality charger (protected and power off when the battery is finish charged).
The connections from battery to the oscillator may be the shorty as possible, to not collect noises through the long wires. As the battery have a quite big surface, I think is better to be shielded it too.

Last edited by Coris; 11th November 2012 at 03:00 PM.
Old 12th November 2012, 07:12 PM   #163
diyAudio Member

Forgot something important for they who want to experiment or use battery powered oscillator. Just in case, use an pico fuse inserted between the battery and the oscillator. Something accordingly with the needed current flowing in the circuit.

I experienced earlier a defective oscillator which after a while it get shorted to GND on the power pin. Then it were the regulator which switched into protection. When about battery with few amp/h it could be quite dangerous to be shorted to GND by a defective component.
So, please use a fuse when is to power something from battery!
Old 12th November 2012, 07:17 PM   #164
diyAudio Member

A better recommendation is to use a fuse for ANY power source.
Old 12th November 2012, 08:14 PM   #165
diyAudio Member

Well, it depends... When about such power sources as batteries it is a must, because is the only protection. Where regulators are involved, one may appreciate where is to be used a fuse... A fuse after a regulator as a power source is a little bit stupid, I can say. The most (chip or not) regulators are (may be) protected by design... A fuse before regulators it may make more sense (if important currents are involved).
Anyway, one may appreciate the right place for such protection. But more discussions in this thread about "fuse theory" it may come out of topic, I suppose...
In this particular
Old 12th November 2012, 08:20 PM   #166
diyAudio Member

Quote:
A fuse after a regulator as a power source is a little bit stupid
Of course it is (typically). I don't think I said to do that... I said always use a fuse.
Old 12th November 2012, 09:00 PM   #167
diyAudio Member

In this power setup for the clock oscillator for ESS9018, is quite natural at one may feel the need to monitor or measure the battery tension, discharge rate an so on.
I only want to express my opinion here that any connection to the power pin of the oscillator with long wires/connection or having connected an monitor device, will not be fortunate at all. Will of course not destroy something but will just induce noises into the system. If is to measure or monitor the battery status, then this may be done when the device is off, and the battery is switched out from the oscillator circuit.
Most reasonable sequence I think is to monitor the battery when device is off, measure by this monitor device/circuit the tension of the battery, and then decide and connect the charger to charge it. To realize a such monitor circuit it may not be very complicated (I will try it later), and the battery for sure it will "feel" better to be charged this way than every time the main device is off...

After I`ve used more than 6 hours my fully charged 1,6A/h battery, to run the oscillator, its tension level drops with approx 40mV... Is plenty of energy there for such use.
Old 20th May 2013, 07:42 AM   #168
diyAudio Member

Improved design for the idea in first picture of this thread...
2x4000F tantal decoupling on L/R AVCC (3,8V) of ESS9018. No different local regulators, but one low noise for both analogue rails of the chip.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2x4000F decoupling AVCC.jpg (399.0 KB, 321 views)

Last edited by Coris; 20th May 2013 at 08:00 AM.
Old 20th May 2013, 11:57 AM   #169
marce is offline marce  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

And that is suppose to improve what?
Old 20th May 2013, 01:33 PM   #170
diyAudio Member

The aesthetic look of ESS9018...

Hide this!Advertise here!