ESS9018 - try new, try more... - Page 16 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd September 2012, 12:34 PM   #151
Coris is offline Coris  Norway
diyAudio Member

Excellent results using an SAW oscillator 125Mhz to clock ESS9018! So far the best results I got in my quite many experiments (over)clocking ESS9018.
I had to precise (one more time) that my experiments were made on the DAC stage of BDP95 Oppo player. I do not know details about the firmware used to control the DAC chip, and/or its software setup. As it is the firmware in this case, ESS9018 it works excellent clocked at 125Mhz (using this SAW type oscillator).
Still be a mystery for me why ESS9018 work better (perceptual) and can actually work with excellent results at higher clock frequencies than the designer him self recommend as max in the chip data sheet.
Nice to hear from others about their results (experiences) in (non standard) clocking of ESS9018.

Last edited by Coris; 23rd September 2012 at 12:41 PM.
Old 24th September 2012, 07:12 AM   #152
NicMac is offline NicMac  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coris View Post
I had to precise (one more time) that my experiments were made on the DAC stage of BDP95 Oppo player.
Were your tests done using the BDP95 I/V-stage and balanced output?
Old 25th September 2012, 07:41 AM   #153
diyAudio Member

I always see cheap computer mb equipped with this ESS logo sound chip, but this 9018 is very expensive.
Old 25th September 2012, 09:10 AM   #154
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

and?
Old 27th September 2012, 07:05 PM   #155
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicMac View Post
Were your tests done using the BDP95 I/V-stage and balanced output?
I`ve used only the SE output so far. No, I did not used the original stages of BDP 95. I did not trusted/liked at all the original Oppo design of I/V & final stages. I build it my own I/V stage and output (as is to be seen in the picture). My output stage is used for moment as SE, but is connected already for use it as balanced. My balanced amplifier is not ready to work yet...
If somebody will be willing to try an 125 Mhz oscillator with the use of the original Oppo design for I/V & final stage, it will be very interesting to hear about the results...

Last edited by Coris; 27th September 2012 at 07:14 PM.
Old 27th September 2012, 07:09 PM   #156
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard1238 View Post
I always see cheap computer mb equipped with this ESS logo sound chip, but this 9018 is very expensive.
I personally doubt about PC motherboards designed to use ESS DACs for audio. But who knows... The chip is very high tech and is worth to pay that price for it (in my opinion).
Old 2nd October 2012, 06:57 AM   #157
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I`ve used only the SE output so far. No, I did not used the original stages of BDP 95. I did not trusted/liked at all the original Oppo design of I/V & final stages. I build it my own I/V stage and output (as is to be seen in the picture). My output stage is used for moment as SE, but is connected already for use it as balanced. My balanced amplifier is not ready to work yet...
If somebody will be willing to try an 125 Mhz oscillator with the use of the original Oppo design for I/V & final stage, it will be very interesting to hear about the results...
Forgot the picture...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg I-V & final.jpg (601.9 KB, 484 views)
Old 29th October 2012, 08:17 AM   #158
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to audiodesign Send a message via Skype™ to audiodesign
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunpei View Post
I have an OCXO of 100 MHz sine wave output at my hand. If you want to evaluate it, I can send it to you.
The model is 9325D(Fixed Communication)/Oven-Controlled Crystal Oscillator (OCXO)/NDK
Click the image to open in full size.
Its list price is approximately 1,000 Euro. Phase noise measurement chart for the individual device is available.
As the output is sine wave of +-0.9 V(1.8 V p-p) amplitude, I applied an adjustable DC bias using batteries and fed the biased sine output directly to XI pin of ES9018. The idea of the direct input was given by Dustin.
You need +12V power for the device.

I felt the sonic result of this OCXO was definitely better than the standard Crystek oscillator used on Buffalo II. However, the cost performance was not so high enough. After I once knew the superior performance of synchronous master clocking scheme, I decommissioned it.
Cost of 2 pieces + shipping to Rome Italy ?

Is there a 14 DIP version ?
Old 29th October 2012, 08:18 AM   #159
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to audiodesign Send a message via Skype™ to audiodesign
Quote:
Excellent results using an SAW oscillator 125Mhz to clock ESS9018! So far the best results I got in my quite many experiments (over)clocking ESS9018.
I had to precise (one more time) that my experiments were made on the DAC stage of BDP95 Oppo player. I do not know details about the firmware used to control the DAC chip, and/or its software setup. As it is the firmware in this case, ESS9018 it works excellent clocked at 125Mhz (using this SAW type oscillator).
Still be a mystery for me why ESS9018 work better (perceptual) and can actually work with excellent results at higher clock frequencies than the designer him self recommend as max in the chip data sheet.
Nice to hear from others about their results (experiences) in (non standard) clocking of ESS9018.
Where you have buy it ?
Old 29th October 2012, 10:07 AM   #160
Bunpei is offline Bunpei  Japan
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiodesign View Post
Cost of 2 pieces + shipping to Rome Italy ?
Is there a 14 DIP version ?
Approximately 2,000 EURO. No 14 DIP version is available.

Hide this!Advertise here!