ESS9018 - try new, try more... - Page 15 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2011, 07:47 AM   #141
Coris is offline Coris  Norway
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Norway
Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
make sure its 50ohms if you use coax. i suggest using hirose u.fl connector system, it can be quite easily fitted to anywhere that has the clock and ground available near each other, you do not necessarily have to have the correct pads. alternatively you can use LVDS
Thanks for advise! I have already a such 50 ohm coax (0,81mm) but not yet connectors for it... I will find a solution to try this in the next days...
  Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2011, 01:05 PM   #142
Bunpei is offline Bunpei  Japan
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coris View Post
... May I ask how you`ve generated that PCM file? ...
Hi, Coris,

I'm sorry that I missed my answer to your question.
I used this Japanese freeware "WaveGene" provided by "efu".
WaveGene Download

As the highest sampling frequency available in my environment was limited to 192kHz, I made a trick. First, 176.4 kHz source was generated and the sampling frequency value in its WAV header was edited to represent 352.8 kHz.
  Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2011, 12:33 PM   #143
Coris is offline Coris  Norway
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Norway
I`ve done it (Bunpei)! I tried at least synchronous clock for ESS9018 in my system.
I`ve coupled directly the master clock (25Mhz) to the clock input to the DAC chip. The coax cable were at last 25cm long... Too long! Not happy at all about this length of the cable, but was not possible shorter in my actual hardware configuration.
It just worked very fine at least! But... No conversion for the 192khz sampling files... Else, for the rest of all samplings spectre, it was running just excellent. I could register a slightly increasing in details in the sound stage. I think it could be better result if I should have a shorter clock path between those devices. I`m quite sure that is an enough high potential in this kind of clocking ESS9018. I would like to repeat this experience with a very short path for the synchronous clock. I think I will try again on Buffalo platform, and with an enough high clock frequency to make possible 192khz samplings conversions.

Now a question for Bunpei. What is the advantage to have two ESS9018 chips (two paralleled Buffalos) in the configuration you use for the moment?
In my opinion it have to be better to have all the channels of a DAC chip coupled together (mono), and have two such mono configurations for stereo. As I understood, Bunpei use two ESS9018 in stereo configuration coupled in parallel: two of left and right channels from two DACs coupled together.
Why I mean is better double mono configurations for stereo? I do think that is not very possible to have two identical ESS9018 chips out from production. So it have to be a very slightly difference in between two chips parameters. Coupling together 2x Left & 2x Right from two different chips, which are not at all identical (for not say more about the components around those chips) could not bring the best result. But having two slightly different (parameters) in a double mono configuration (two stereo channels) is more bearable for the resulting stereo sound... I do hope I`ve succeed to explain well enough what I mean...

So, at least, I `m back to may clock winner: 112,896Mhz for ESS9018 in my present (asynchronous) system. I think I will (definitely?) close this Oppo95 box and go back to continuing/finishing pouting together the Buffalo system...

Last edited by Coris; 17th December 2011 at 12:48 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2011, 12:31 PM   #144
Bunpei is offline Bunpei  Japan
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coris View Post
Now a question for Bunpei. What is the advantage to have two ESS9018 chips (two paralleled Buffalos) in the configuration you use for the moment?
In my opinion it have to be better to have all the channels of a DAC chip coupled together (mono), and have two such mono configurations for stereo. As I understood, Bunpei use two ESS9018 in stereo configuration coupled in parallel: two of left and right channels from two DACs coupled together.
Why I mean is better double mono configurations for stereo? I do think that is not very possible to have two identical ESS9018 chips out from production. So it have to be a very slightly difference in between two chips parameters. Coupling together 2x Left & 2x Right from two different chips, which are not at all identical (for not say more about the components around those chips) could not bring the best result. But having two slightly different (parameters) in a double mono configuration (two stereo channels) is more bearable for the resulting stereo sound... I do hope I`ve succeed to explain well enough what I mean...
Dear Coris,

Have you actually consider a physical alignment of two Buffalo III boards with one I/V module? If you would think of it once, you would have found some merits on the idea of stacking two Buffalo III boards in a vertical direction.
When you say "8 channel mono", it's not easy to sum up two group of 4 channels on each side of the DAC chip with neat wiring.

Bunpei
  Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2012, 12:01 PM   #145
Coris is offline Coris  Norway
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Norway
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunpei View Post
Dear Coris,

Have you actually consider a physical alignment of two Buffalo III boards with one I/V module? If you would think of it once, you would have found some merits on the idea of stacking two Buffalo III boards in a vertical direction.
When you say "8 channel mono", it's not easy to sum up two group of 4 channels on each side of the DAC chip with neat wiring.

Bunpei
OK! I get your point...
  Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2012, 04:19 PM   #146
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Default What so special about this part

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunpei View Post
I heard that the device was a custom part co-developed by TAD and NDK. I have never found it on NDK's product listing published on their web site.

Moreover, the low phase noise profile must be achieved by its associated power supply module. The black box left to the main player box is a dedicated power supply unit.
Click the image to open in full size.
Bunpei
Whats so special about this part that NDK was not able to make before without TAD's involvement ?
What is the closest NDK series to this one ?

What do you guys think about this ?

Zegar wersja MK II hybryd
MRelektronik.pl

lampizator.freeforums.org • View topic - superclock
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2012, 04:59 PM   #147
Bunpei is offline Bunpei  Japan
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by carz View Post
Bunpei
Whats so special about this part that NDK was not able to make before without TAD's involvement ?
What is the closest NDK series to this one ?

What do you guys think about this ?

Zegar wersja MK II hybryd
I looked at the picture of Zegar wersja MK II hybryd. The shape made me remember NDK TCXO like this;
5920A-AQJ70(Fixed Communication)/Temperature Compensated Crystal Oscillator (TCXO)/NDK

On the other hand, the oscillator employed in TAD-D600 is like this;
Click the image to open in full size.

I heard that the oscillator used in TAD was not OCXO.
However, I guess the model was derived from this OCXO product by removing an oven.
Click the image to open in full size.
9325D(Fixed Communication)/Oven-Controlled Crystal Oscillator (OCXO)/NDK

The unit price of this OCXO is approximately 1,100 USD!

Last edited by Bunpei; 22nd June 2012 at 05:01 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2012, 04:15 PM   #148
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Bunpei,
Is the specs good for the 5920A-AQJ70(Fixed Communication)/Temperature Compensated Crystal Oscillator (TCXO)/NDK ??

what is your opinion on the Zegar wersja MK II hybryd ?
  Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2012, 06:00 PM   #149
Bunpei is offline Bunpei  Japan
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by carz View Post
...
Is the specs good for the 5920A-AQJ70(Fixed Communication)/Temperature Compensated Crystal Oscillator (TCXO)/NDK ??

what is your opinion on the Zegar wersja MK II hybryd ?
As I have no experience on the oscillator board at all, I have no comment on it. I'm not sure whether the NDK oscillator used on the board is the TCXO or not.

However, in general, you would find a certain degree of improvements when you use so-called "low jitter" oscillators. I think qualities of NDK oscillators are always good enough in my limited experiences.

Bunpei
  Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2012, 08:57 PM   #150
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Default The

Digital engineers whom I trust have told me that phase noise (especially phase noise at low frequencies) is the important spec for an audio clock.

My understanding is that TCXO, and OCXO excel in terms of very long term stability, but this is not what matters for audio, same as with so called atomic clocks. Long term stability is great if one needs a clock reference which will not vary over years, but this does not help audio performance.

I believe Bunpei has shown the phase noise plots for some NDK oscillators which looked pretty good. If you are searching for an oscillator module for audio use, look for something with low phase noise. If the manufacturer does not publish phase noise specs, it is probably safe to assume that they are not very good. Here in the US, of the oscillators which are actually obtainable in the relevant frequencies, the Crystek CCHD series parts are designed for audio, and have decent phase noise specs: much better than the typical parts used in most commercial products.
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 05:08 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2