Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th September 2011, 04:32 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Novice DAC Repair help

Hi, so I'm pretty new to this whole diy thing and I need help identifying a part to be replaced. I started working on a Perpetual Technologies P-3A DAC to replace a few parts. I've identified a part that needs to be replaced, I just don't know what type of part it is (I'm really new to this subject) or where I can order it. I was hoping one of you could let me know what part this is. Maybe you could even tell me what part number it was. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 12th September 2011, 05:25 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

C = capacitor
Old 12th September 2011, 08:17 AM   #3
jonners is offline jonners  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

How do you know that part needs replacing when you didn't know (until just now) what it was?
Old 13th September 2011, 08:08 AM   #4
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

probably the slight scorch marks visible are some clue =) its difficult, yes indeed its a capacitor, but if its fried he cannot measure its value (if he indeed has a multimeter), although good chance its the same as the other caps surrounding it. without knowing the value its hard, its likely to be 10-100nf np0/c0g or x7r type 0805 size ceramic. np0, c0g and x7r are grades, not brands, the brand will be univportant, so if we can find the value it will be easy to find one at farnell, digikey, mouser, newark etc

Last edited by qusp; 13th September 2011 at 08:13 AM.
Old 13th September 2011, 03:12 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Looks like it's just a bypass cap.
It is not that important part.
Your DAC should work even with that part missing.

Don't pay too much. Buy 50 pcs of them from here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/50pcs-SMD-C0...#ht_865wt_1033
Or 100pcs from here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-SMD-Capa...ht_3209wt_1186

Last edited by tamphist; 13th September 2011 at 03:15 PM.
Old 13th September 2011, 05:38 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Does the DAC work? If you are "moding" this unit you really really need a schematic first. The comments so far are well made, you might be able to just ignore the cap or replace it with a common bypass cap value like .01 ufd, but wouldnt it be smarter to know? Did you install that yellow radial cap hung out in the air like that? Did you short something out in the process? I suppose that I sound a bit critical, but you are asking for answers without offering enough information.
Old 15th September 2011, 06:41 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Thanks for all the replies, guys. I was trying to replace the power jack, which had been broken and I noticed the scorch marks. This dac had been bought used and I didnt know if I had done the damage or if the damage had been there before I bought it. I can test the board with a multimeter, but I cannot verify that it works since I desoldered the jack so I could replace it. Also, I did not install the radial cap. My goal was to replace the jack and I was concerned about the scorch marks. Anyways, I will try to replace the jack and if the dac works, then I will leave it alone. I think I will try to do as little damage as possible as I learn how to work with electronics.
Old 15th September 2011, 06:54 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

If I wanted to measure the surrounding caps, what setting would I have to set the DMM at?

Hide this!Advertise here!