Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th August 2012, 01:32 PM   #351
diyAudio Member

How to a access both the M4 and the M0 on the LPC43xx.

Read this: LPC43xx DualCore Projects

Make sure you read the whole webpage. To me it looks quite complicated. I guess most developers will hate working this way. Such is the current issue with the LPC43xx.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Creating an LPC43xx Cortex-M4 - M0 Dual Core Application.jpg (226.4 KB, 340 views)

Last edited by steph_tsf; 24th August 2012 at 01:40 PM.
Old 24th August 2012, 02:50 PM   #352
diyAudio Member

I suppose I could have been more explicit about this when I linked that page back in post 279 but, to recap, it's a moving target:

LPCXpresso 4.2.2 - no meaningful LPC185x or LPC43xx support
LPCXpresso 4.2.3 - cumbersome support as described on the wiki
LPCXpresso 4.2.4 - TBD

I would guess by 4.2.5 writing M0+M4 code could be pretty smooth. From a glance at the sample code a5856 linked Keil's been there since at least March. So I'd be cautious about inferring the state of dual core Cortex development from Code Red starting to catch up. (This is not to say all's well with Keil. I'm not hands on with MDK yet as Keil's download page thinks the email address I've been using daily since 1994 is invalid---haven't gotten a response from Keil support yet.)

It's worth pointing out NXP lists all 43xx parts as in either development or qualification---none are actually in production yet and the datasheet is still marked preliminary. I'd say things are past the alpha stage but it's probably unrealistic to expect a baked developer experience at this point; currently it's more of a beta/early adopter ecosystem it seems.
Old 24th August 2012, 06:38 PM   #353
diyAudio Member

Since June 8th 2012 NGX Technologies hosts valuable info about how to program and debug the LPC4330 chip.
See NGX Technologies Online Store

User Manuals
For KEIL MDK ARM with ULINK2/ME http://shop.ngxtechnologies.com/down...er_LPC4330.pdf
For LPC-Xpresso with NXP LPC-Link http://shop.ngxtechnologies.com/down...er_LPC4330.pdf

Sample Code
For KEIL MDK ARM http://shop.ngxtechnologies.com/down...lorer_Keil.zip
For LPC-Xpresso http://shop.ngxtechnologies.com/down...LPCXpresso.zip
For IAR (Use version 6.40.2 and above) http://shop.ngxtechnologies.com/down...plorer_Iar.zip
Old 10th September 2012, 06:40 AM   #354
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
Avnet has the LPC1114 Cortex M0 in DIL28 package in stock now, so no excuses that the available packages aren't DIY-friendly enough to roll your own DSP :

NXP Semiconductors LPC1114FN28/102,12, - Avnet Express

Price even for a 1 off is an astonishingly reasonable $1.26 for a 45DMIPs chip - at less than 3cents per DMIP is this some kind of record for an SoC?

<edit> Incidentally, has anyone got any info on the LPC4088 120MHz Cortex M4 other than this tantalizing Youtube vid?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fFv6SlTFk8&feature=plcp

Last edited by abraxalito; 10th September 2012 at 06:45 AM.
Old 11th September 2012, 01:28 AM   #355
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
TI has a special running (well almost - Sept 25th is start of ship date) on its latest M4 - an eval board for just $4.99 - max two per customer. Check it out here : https://estore.ti.com/Stellaris-LaunchPad.aspx
Old 11th September 2012, 11:02 AM   #356
inguz is offline inguz  United States
diyAudio Member

Have you looked at Teensy3.0 for an M4 board? It's very small!
Old 11th September 2012, 11:33 AM   #357
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the suggestion - I hadn't seen it before. Looks to have a proprietary bootloader and be more Arduino-focussed than I'd like. But its certainly small and fairly cheap. Interesting that the designer got all his prototypes to overclock 100% - to 96MHz.
Old 13th September 2012, 09:59 AM   #358
diyAudio Member

Infineon XMC4500 is now supported by Hitex.
See it here XMC4500 HiLight Kit
The debug interface adapter ULink-ME is included in the package and can be used with Keil-MDK.

The Infineon XMC4500 looks great on paper for a DSP audio crossover, thanks to no less than six flexible serial interfaces, each supporting I2S. Does it mean we can have one I2S as stereo audio input, three I2S as stereo 3-way outputs, one I2C as WM8581 Codec control, and one SPI as general serial control (like for adding an audiophile-grade analog volume control) ?

So, here is the updated list of some inexpensive boards that could execute some simple audio-DSP before feeding two or more audio DACs :

- the Microchip DM330013-2 PIC32MX2 Starterkit (onboard debugger)
- the Embedded Artists NXP Cortex-M0 and Cortex-M3 carrierboards (onboard LPCXpresso debugger)
- the STM 32F4 Cortex-M4 Discovery Kit (onboard debugger)
- the Freescale Kinetis K20 Cortex-M4 carrierboard (aka Teesny 3.0 - bootloader)
- the T.I. LM4F Cortex-M4 Evaluation Kit (onboard Keil or IAR debugger)
- the T.I. LM4F120 LaunchPad Evaluation Board (Onboard Stellaris In-Circuit Debug Interface) (promo at $4.99)
- the Hitex Infineon XMC4500 HiLight Kit (onboard Keil debugger)

By the way, why continuing embedding a debugger chip or an external bootloader chip on such boards ? Is it so difficult producing a simple, lowcost board featuring the ARM Cortex-M4, only adding the 10-pin 0.05 inch Cortex-M debug connector on the board, for hooking some external debug probe like the keil ULink-ME ? What's the issue ? Can somebody explain ?

Last edited by steph_tsf; 13th September 2012 at 10:13 AM.
Old 19th September 2012, 02:36 PM   #359
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxalito View Post
Incidentally, has anyone got any info on the LPC4088 120MHz Cortex M4 other than this tantalizing Youtube vid?
NXP has at last posted up the datasheet : http://www.nxp.com/documents/data_sheet/LPC408X_7X.pdf
Old 20th September 2012, 08:07 AM   #360
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxalito View Post
NXP has at last posted up the datasheet : http://www.nxp.com/documents/data_sheet/LPC408X_7X.pdf
- Five UARTs with fractional baud rate generation, internal FIFO, DMA support, and RS-485/EIA-485 support.
- Three SSP controllers with FIFO and multi-protocol capabilities. The SSP interfaces can be used with the GPDMA controller.
- I2S (Inter-IC Sound) interface for digital audio input or output. It can be used with the GPDMA.

Archaic approach regarding the serial interfaces.
Time to blast all this with flexible serial interfaces like in the Infineon XMC4500.
Time to add I2S, TDM and TDMCA as supported protocol.
Why not eight flexible serial interfaces? Is ARM unable to design this, as standard?

Hide this!Advertise here!