Open Source DSP XOs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Somehow the links don't work for ebay listings. Type this number into ebay 151041890711

Here are the details:-

TMS320F28335PGFA (package: 176-LQFP), Development board, TI DSP

Model:F28335-Pi

Product shipping list:

1. TMS320F28335PGFA development kits(JTAG14 Interface), with cables
2. DB9 SCI communication cable
3 .Power cable(usb cable)

4. Codes and Files are sent through email(the requesting email address will be sent with the board together)

5. Hardware email tech-support free for three months

Hardware Resource(Out of Chip) List:

1.256K×16-bit extern SRAM(which could be updated to 512K×16bit);

2.8M×16-bit extern FLASH

3.Serial 64k EEPROM(AT24LC64);
4.RS232 SCI Interface;
5.2 Way CAN2.0B Transceiver circuits;
6.2 LED,2 keys ,1 reset key;

7.Set aside TMS320F28335 start the configuration interface, a great user more flexible development。

=====

On chip resources(more reference please turn to Analog, Embedded Processing, Semiconductor Company, Texas Instruments - TI.com)

1.DSP Processor TMS320F28335PGFA,32 Bit Floating Processor, clock:150MHZ

2.DSP On chip 256K×16-bit FLASH

3. DSP On chip 8K×16-bit Boot ROM
4.DSP On chip OTP ROM:1K×16-bit;
5.DSP On chip 34K×16-bit SRAM;
7.DSP On chip A/D:2×8Channel,12-bitResolution,80nsConversion time、0~3V Input Range;
8.DSP On chip PWM:12 Channel Output,6 channel high resolution PWM (HRPWM);
9.2.54MM Pins Leads all function pin of TMS320F28335

More information about TMS320F28335 Chip please refer :C2000 32-bit Real-time Control MCUs - C28x Delfino Floating-point MCUs - TMS320F28335 - TI.com

Supporting Material:
1, schematic(PDF format),: correspond exactly to the board

2, user guide

3, sample programs of all the hardware resource in the board

4, Protel format schematic library, Protel format PCB footprint library

Note:
this development kit need a Emulator to use, the emulators includes:XDS100V2, X/TDS510,560, or any Emulator which support TI C2000 DSP

Current consumption roughly 400mA at 150MHz? No, thank you.

400mA at 3.3V or 1.32 Watts !! Are you kidding me !!

And that's with all of the peripherals running as well !!

And there is more !! 60 bucks for an ICE. Ebay number 350473496337. Check it out ;)

XDS100 XDS100V2 TI DSP Emulator ARM9 Cortex A8 TMS320

Description:

The XDS100v2 USB JTAG Emulator is the second release of the XDS100 JTAG emulator technology supporting debug of a variety of TI devices. It allows the user direct access between the host computer and the DSP through a 14-pin JTAG header. It is compatible with Code Composer Studio (CCS) V4 and compatible with Windows XP/Vista/Win7.

Features

· Support for the following processor cores: TMS320C28x, TMS320C54x, TMS320C55x, TMS320C64x+, TMS320C674x, ARM 9, ARM Cortex R4, and ARM Cortex A8.

· Debugging function(connect / disconnect, read / write memory, read the register, load the program, run, stop steps to support the breakpoint debugging, real-time mode)

· Supports On-Chip Flash Programmer(e.g. C2000)

· Support targets with 14-pin TI JTAG connector as used by Texas Instruments embedded processors.

· Support for USB2.0 High Speed (480 Mbit/s)

· Compatible with +1.8V or +3.3V JTAG interfaces

· Support for Code Composer Studio v4 and newer (Does not support Code Composer Studio v3.3)

· Support for power-off test and Adaptive Clock

· Support for Windows XP/Vista/Win7

Why would that someone want an XO though that consumes more power, rather than less? :confused:

that's like asking what is the price of fish is on mars. The power has no relevance whatsoever unless you are running it from batteries which I don't think is a requirement here. There are plenty here who run dsp crossovers on their PC hardware. What power do you think they consume ? A lot more than a TMS320F28335 !!

The TI dsps are well documented and well supported and have been for decades which is more than I can say for these cortex M4 devices.

that's like asking what is the price of fish is on mars.

I'm not following you. Perhaps explain the steps you used to reach this analogy?

The power has no relevance whatsoever unless you are running it from batteries which I don't think is a requirement here.
Why not go for the lowest power and lowest price, all other things being equal? Don't just assert, explain why power isn't relevant. In any case even though you don't find it relevant, I most certainly do and it was you pitching the product.

There are plenty here who run dsp crossovers on their PC hardware. What power do you think they consume ? A lot more than a TMS320F28335 !!
So what? Plenty of people leave windows open with the aircon running.

The TI dsps are well documented and well supported and have been for decades which is more than I can say for these cortex M4 devices.
Relevance? TI will be dead long before ARM gives up the ghost - have you checked the relative corporate performance of the two any time recently? Investing effort in learning TI proprietary hardware isn't a long-term investment at all.

Last edited:
I'm not following you. Perhaps explain the steps you used to reach this analogy?

Why not go for the lowest power and lowest price, all other things being equal? Don't just assert, explain why power isn't relevant. In any case even though you don't find it relevant, I most certainly do and it was you pitching the product.

So what? Plenty of people leave windows open with the aircon running.

Relevance? TI will be dead long before ARM gives up the ghost - have you checked the relative corporate performance of the two any time recently? Investing effort in learning TI proprietary hardware isn't a long-term investment at all.

So we can all assume that there will be another 51 pages filled up with links to cortex M4 eval boards and not one practical implementation of a dsp crossover ??

Maybe better to rename the thread to "Lets just talk about dsp's" ;)

You're free to assume what you want. If you'd go back to the beginning of the thread, you'll see its not intended to result in a particular physical incarnation of a DSP crossover, rather to assist and encourage the design of digital filters on relatively simple hardware - the practical implementation being decided by the individual DIYer. If you're frustrated and in need of actual hardware may I suggest miniDSP?

Maybe the simplest way to implement a DSP crossover is to use the TI PCM5142 DACs (chained, the DAC has also an I2S output, or actually several, so you can also use any other DAC as converter) with built-in miniDSP (which for some reason TI didn't trademark so miniDSP.com can use the name as well even though they are using Analog Devices products):

Audio Converter - Audio DAC - PCM5142 - TI.com

Well, you have to program the coefficients using SPI/I2C interface to DAC, and for multiway xover you need another DAC but the parts count will remain low and the DACs are better quality than the DACs which were built into the now obsole TAS3xxx chips (which Hypex are still using).

Last edited:
400mA at 3.3V or 1.32 Watts !! Are you kidding me !!

And that's with all of the peripherals running as well !!

And there is more !! 60 bucks for an ICE. Ebay number 350473496337. Check it out ;)
They actually publish the design files for their 60 buck XDS100V2, so you can build one yourself if you want - or you can buy a Dangerous Prototypes "Bus Blaster" and reprogram it with the VID/PID and CPLD code of the XDS100, as the hardware's pretty much the same. I'm actually using this setup currently for C55x development.

I haven't looked into how open sourceable the C55x series are, but if a free version of CCS is available or an open source compiler can be used, you could build an open DSP card using a C5509 or similar DSP which comes in a LQFP.

Another thing to consider, is an I2S port available on a Beagleboard or Beaglebone?

Re: BeagleBone see post from last week:

This talk of codec strapping got me curious so I got to checking back on things. Unsurprisingly, it remains there are no suitable Arduino or Raspberry Pi boards (unsurprisingly, Raspy Fi is still USB out). The BeagleBone Black brings out a full set of mcasp0 pins from its AM3359 to the expansion headers but unfortunately fails to do so in a way that's I2S friendly. Specifically, use of all four AXR pins requires IO mode 3 or 6. But from what I can tell the only mode that sort of works with the user accessible pins on the Black is mode 0, which yields one data line out to the expansion headers whose clocks are shared with the I2S over to HDMI.

I2C and clocks are on the expansion headers, though. So, given a DAC with a one line mode, one could use a Black DAC cape to enable USB -> DSP XO + EQ -> DAC. But not SPDIF -> DSP -> DAC as there's no support for a second data line in mode 0. Enough nets on the board go through resistors one could probably blue wire something up for mode 3 or 6 given a pair of hot tweezers but, eh, it's not something I consider worth the hassle.

Maybe the simplest way to implement a DSP crossover is to use the TI PCM5142 DACs
Did TI ever bother to document the capabilities of a miniDSP device? Last I checked there was nothing published as to precision or number of biquads available. Lots of customers have asked in TI's forums for the instruction set and been turned down. So the platform's not exactly what one might call open. Neither is SigmaDSP. But at least Analog is clear about the MAC and MIPS.

As an aside, I think you've some confusion as to the capabilities of the TAS3108 Hypex uses on the DLCP as well as the DLCP BOM. Might want to take a closer look.

Did TI ever bother to document the capabilities of a miniDSP device? Last I checked there was nothing published as to precision or number of biquads available. Lots of customers have asked in TI's forums for the instruction set and been turned down. So the platform's not exactly what one might call open. Neither is SigmaDSP. But at least Analog is clear about the MAC and MIPS.

As an aside, I think you've some confusion as to the capabilities of the TAS3108 Hypex uses on the DLCP as well as the DLCP BOM. Might want to take a closer look.

Yeah it's quite difficult to even get the software tools without buying their evaluation kits. I think the miniDSP capabilities are easiest to find by experimenting a desing in PurePath Studio "Home" version GDE which supports the DAC or reading the data sheet of PCM5142 which tells there are room for 512 24-bit coefficients which means over 100 biquads can be used. I'm quite sure that with a single PCM5142 and two PCM5102's you could implement a stereo three-way crossover easily. In addition it is possible to implement some miniDSP code (but the support is generally not so good I agree, at least if you are just a hobbyist). I know there are some DIYers working @TI (like the guy who defined the PCM51xx parts) but guess they can't do anything to bring up the tools like PurePath Studio to hobbyists (it's not downloadable directly, you have to apply for it separately, and at least earlier you had to be representing a company), or to opening up the programming interfaces for the miniDSP parts.

Regarding TAS3108 I just meant it's obsolete, the parts with DACs are TAS3204 and TAS3208 with SNR of 97dB.

Did TI ever bother to document the capabilities of a miniDSP device? Last I checked there was nothing published as to precision or number of biquads available. [...]. But at least Analog is clear about the MAC and MIPS.

The datasheet says (p.41): "The miniDSP can run up to 1024 instructions on every audio sample at a 48kHz sample rate."

Interesting chip btw, and first time I hear of it, thx.

Here you can find a document showing the PurePath Studio GDE so you get kind of feeling how it works:

http://www.ti.com/lit/an/slaa541/slaa541.pdf

With the PCM5142 you are not restricted to the ROM code and processing flow so you can actually edit the flows and add more I2S outputs for external DAC's (they are mapped to GPIO pins on PCM5142).

TI had already published an application note for MSP430 to be used to control the audio products (slaa605) but seems they have taken it off the web. Anyway it's not that complicated if you can first play with the PPS and study the exported data. However, you have to get access to TI extranet (pps.ext.ti.com) first, not sure if they will give it everyone asking though.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.