Zen -> Cen -> Sen, evolution of a minimalistic IV Converter

Here we go.....
It works extremely well, i tried a BJT version in a phono stage.

Attachments

• J-Fet Bal-Unbal Converter r.jpg
    J-Fet Bal-Unbal Converter r.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 702
Hi Patrick

I just tried taking a SE output from SEN, one channel only. It seems fine- certainly the gross distortion I found with the other IV stages is gone! I checked both channels, and both + and - phases. Final confirmation will have to wait until I can listen critically in stereo, but I think the "problem" is solved!

Paul

CEN Balanced to Single Ended Converter

I did a quick simulation of the circuit in #1021, but distortion is quite high (-40dB 3rd).
Of course by no means optimised yet, and still potential for improvement.

But I also adapted one of my circuits in the drawer for BAL->SE conversion.
The perfromance is excellent in Spice.
And with the added bonus of all FET, no global feedback (my prejudice).

:)

Patrick

Attachments

• CEN BAL_SE Converter V1 Sch.png
    CEN BAL_SE Converter V1 Sch.png
    26.3 KB · Views: 862
  • CEN BAL_SE Converter V1 FFT.png
    CEN BAL_SE Converter V1 FFT.png
    44.1 KB · Views: 846
But I also adapted one of my circuits in the drawer for BAL->SE conversion.
Patrick

You seem to be in the mood for throwing up circuits.

How about a fully balanced, single stage output stage that can be driven directly from a stepped attenuator used as a Sen i/v resistor.

Make a nice headphone/low power amp.

I think I'm getting 6V pk-pk from the last Sen variant I posted (with RM=0R) with a 750R Riv and measuring -100dB 2nd and 3rd harmonic.

Not sure what the useful limit is for Riv. Enough, anyway, for a small amp with no extra gain stage.

Patrick, i like they way you use my idea with a folded mosfet cascode and buffer. I think this is the way we should go. My original circuit can be improved with better mirrors and buffers but your solution is somewhat lower in parts count and already simulates very well. I would be very interested if you make a board from it.
That bal-unbal problem shows up very often. Most people simply do not have a totally balanced system and what we are doing here may be one of the few high quality bal-unbal
converters with discrete components.

The circuit shown in post #1034 is nothing other than a Blowtorch look-alike with the second stage of the negative phase removed, and a complementary source follower added to lower the output impedance. The first stage can of course only be 4 JFETs instead of 8.

So the credit goes to John Curl I am afraid. ;)

I already have a board for this but it is too large because I used TO220 MOSFETs at 70mA for the second stage. So still some room for optimisation. But one can equally use one half of Nelson's Pass UGS to achieve the same purpose.

Patrick

Patrick