Zen -> Cen -> Sen, evolution of a minimalistic IV Converter

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
Each of the 8 differential DACs has an output impedance of about 800 Ohms, but if you use the ESS9018 in stereo mode, like in the Buffalo2, you have about 195 Ohms, and 16mAp-p signal current max riding on top of 8mADC wehn using 0 Ohm load. In mono mode, the ESS9018 has its DACs in parallel giving twice the stereo mode current.

AFAIK, most people are using the ESS9018 in either mono mode or stereo mode.

I guess ESS is chary with their favors as far as datasheets etc., but without violating disclosure agreements, does anyone know what they recommend as I-V converters that, one hopes, preserve the touted 135dB DNR and -120dB THD numbers for mono mode?

Brad

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
Can't resist a story but I'll keep it short: a former Harman employee stopped in to chat with another exec. one day and started by saying he wasn't really interested in a job (a strategy for being hired, reverse psychology?). I was in the room as he added that he did programming now and went on to say that hardware engineering no longer interested him, as it consisted in reading databooks and pasting app circuits together, whereas programming allowed for real creativity.

I couldn't contain myself, and replied that when I heard rubbish like that, I knew there would always be work for me. Needless to say we didn't become fast friends.

The datasheet is released into the public, and you do not need to sign an NDA anymore. Ask the ESS distributor Ismosys about the ESS9018 datasheet.

/S

I guess ESS is chary with their favors as far as datasheets etc., but without violating disclosure agreements, does anyone know what they recommend as I-V converters that, one hopes, preserve the touted 135dB DNR and -120dB THD numbers for mono mode?

Brad

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Located 2SK170 at Mouser, any suggestion as to where I might find 2SJ74? So far no one here in the USA seems to have them..

Will try them with 1794 (output current range adjusted if necessary) and possibly in my sacd player at some point. Many other uses I can think of..

Spencer here is apparently an appliance reseller, where are they located and what is their full name?

Edit: Did a google search and found Spencer at FET Audio..

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I wonder if anyone can help.

Ive been trying to implement this circuit with a TDA1541.

Things are not going to well at the moment.

Im getting 600mV on the dac output. Leading to massive distortion, and maybe damage?

The 1541 idles at -2mA, and swings 2mA each way.

Ive tried different iv resistors, different caps and cap values. R1 and R2 are identical at 560k.

The jfets are matched at 11.9mA Idss

I checked that the circuit was drawing current, sure enough it was.

Im using 2 x 9v block batteries to get the 18v.

So im a bit lost at the moment, if anyone could help id appreciate it. Thanks.

Ryan