Zen -> Cen -> Sen, evolution of a minimalistic IV Converter

Hi Patrick,

I have found a cheap source of BF245C with IDSS 12-25mA. Could these be used in the SEN?

Well, I'm no expert, but I think that they would not be suitable because of their small transconductance ( 3-6.5 mS ), which means that SEN would have large input impedance. For example 2SK170 has 22 mS, and recommended 2SK369 40 mS - the higher the value, the lower the impedance.

But wait for Patricks answer, he certainly has much more knowledge than me :)

I need a floating supply for another project. I have posted a floating supply here but i think this new one is more interesting because it is more symmetric. Also the CCS´s.
This is not dimensioned yet and i also think about alternative CCS´s so it shows only the principle at this moment. See one alternative.

Attachments

• Symmetric Floating PSU.TSC - TINA.pdf
    8.2 KB · Views: 430
This, with good trafos, should be a great alternative to batterie.

I found a cheap source of R-Cores locally and I´ll try some things with them. The R-Cores have two completely separate primaries, one on each spool. So I thought, this can make a perfect 1:1 isolation trafo. And it´s super efficient, it hardly warms up IME.

The other trick, to use it as a normal step down trafo, is to use one primary and one secondary, from different spools. Drastically reduce capacitive coupling between windings.

(I didn´t try this as of yet)

Here is a current source design by Mr.Evil. It is good to 50mA. I need around 25mA and i have the parts so i will give it a try.

Attachments

• mosfet-ccs_schematic.png 213 × 465 Pixel.png
    mosfet-ccs_schematic.png 213 × 465 Pixel.png
    959 bytes · Views: 897
The double CCS adds safety, in case you are using the mosfets. They can fail and pass much more current. (I have ruined a few playing on protoboard with low voltages, I´m not even sure how. Static?).

Altough not a big concern for the cascode CCS, if well soldered in place, which it will be of course.

Last edited: