Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Zen -> Cen -> Sen, evolution of a minimalistic IV Converter
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th December 2017, 08:57 PM   #2071
fccn75 is offline fccn75  United States
diyAudio Member

Just out of curiosity, has anyone tried the SEN with 24V?

According to Linear Audio's excerpt of SEN paper, "An 18V supply across the two JFETs is quite sufficient, though you can go further to 27V or 36V if you wish. The benefit of higher voltage is lower JFETcapacitances, which in turn means higher bandwidth and lower distortion"
Old 13th January 2018, 04:46 PM   #2072
Blitz is offline Blitz  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hi Guys,

I still need to build my xensen for the Buffalo III with ess9018...actually it has been build already, but I enjoy my tube Output-stage with passive i/v so much, that I did not changed the concept.

By coincedence I came across this wbpage: SW1X Audio Design >> I/U (I/V) Conversion – Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

What is claimed here ow is that a combonation: I/V with active devices (2 transistors) for achieving impedance matching in combination with tube outoutstage is better than passive I/V...

Is this an idea how to combine the sen/xen with a tube output-stage ? two transistors only sounds like something similar to sen/xen, no ? They are not giving any details excepts many pictures on their webpage.
Old 13th January 2018, 05:33 PM   #2073
Blitz is offline Blitz  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hi Guys,

I still need to build my xensen for the Buffalo III with ess9018...actually it has been build already, but I enjoy my tube Output-stage with passive i/v so much, that I did not changed the concept.

By coincedence I came across this wbpage: SW1X Audio Design >> I/U (I/V) Conversion – Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

What is claimed here is that a combination: I/V with active devices (2 transistors) for achieving impedance matching in combination with tube outputstage is better than passive I/V...

Is this a reasonable idea how to combine the sen/xen with a tube output-stage ? two transistors only sounds like something similar to sen/xen, no ? They are not giving any details excepts many pictures on their webpage. See SW1X Audio Design I/U Conversion Transistor Options | SW1X Audio Design

With a smaller output-level and different resistor value, could the output cap become a film or even DC-coupled ? I just ordered LA 2 to understand better how the xen work...so sorry for my lack of understanding.

Last edited by Blitz; 13th January 2018 at 05:37 PM.
Old 30th January 2018, 08:13 AM   #2074
qwertyl is offline qwertyl  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Anyone has a spare pair of JFET Quad heatsinks for Sen IV?
Old 6th February 2018, 12:36 AM   #2075
alazira is offline alazira  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fccn75 View Post
Just out of curiosity, has anyone tried the SEN with 24V?

According to Linear Audio's excerpt of SEN paper, "An 18V supply across the two JFETs is quite sufficient, though you can go further to 27V or 36V if you wish. The benefit of higher voltage is lower JFETcapacitances, which in turn means higher bandwidth and lower distortion"

NicMac has run the SEN with higher voltage

Old 6th February 2018, 12:40 AM   #2076
alazira is offline alazira  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EUVL View Post
I have to admit that I do not understand a scientific explanation of better sounding caps in this particular circuit.
Unless we do not believe in Kirchoff's Law.

The signal current flow through a complete different circuit than the bias current.
So how can the cap has an effect ?
Except of course for the look, which I cannot argue against.

Cheers,
Patrick
I noticed that the caps C1/C2 are in parallel with the battery-cap supply. Perhaps their effect is as power supply rather than signal carrier?
Old 6th February 2018, 08:29 AM   #2077
diyAudio Member

Just to make sure I understand this correctly - gate stoppers for Sen IV are required just for Q1 and Q2, but not for Q3 and Q4?
Old 6th February 2018, 09:43 AM   #2078
EUVL is offline EUVL  Europe
diyAudio Member

I would use all 4.
No harm.

Patrick
Old 6th February 2018, 07:08 PM   #2079
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EUVL View Post
I would use all 4.
No harm.

Patrick
Ok, thanks. Is SMD preferred or could I go for a good quality through hole?
Old 6th February 2018, 08:15 PM   #2080
EUVL is offline EUVL  Europe
diyAudio Member

I prefer SMD.

Patrick

Zen -> Cen -> Sen, evolution of a minimalistic IV ConverterHide this!Advertise here!