Any 24 bit NOS DACs? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th August 2011, 09:34 PM   #1
labjr is offline labjr  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Any 24 bit NOS DACs?

Maybe it's time to ask the question again. I'm wondering if anyone is working on a non-oversampling DAC project which will handle high sampling rates?

The Metrum Octave DAC is getting rave reviews. I guess they are using some industrial DAC chips(whatever those are) which work up to 15 mhz. Judging by the pictures of the inside, it would appear to be a relatively simple circuit. Of course it's probably harder than it looks. Very interesting concept though. Just when you think you've heard it all, something comes along that's better.

http://www.nosminidac.nl/Octave_English.html

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/metrum/1.html

Last edited by labjr; 26th August 2011 at 09:40 PM.
Old 26th August 2011, 10:14 PM   #2
poynton is offline poynton  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Location: A life on the ocean waves when I'm not at home in N. Wales (but I'm not Welsh so no sheep jokes!)
For CD -- no point.

They're 16-bit

Old 26th August 2011, 10:16 PM   #3
labjr is offline labjr  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by poynton View Post
For CD -- no point.

They're 16-bit

Well who listens to CD anymore? I listen to as much hi-rez material as I can find.
Old 26th August 2011, 11:48 PM   #4
wwenze is offline wwenze  Singapore
diyAudio Member

6moons gives everything rave reviews.
Old 27th August 2011, 05:45 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
Quote:
Originally Posted by labjr View Post
I guess they are using some industrial DAC chips(whatever those are) which work up to 15 mhz.
My guess, FWIW : Digital to Analog Converter - Precision DAC (=<10MSPS) - DAC8581 - TI.com

From looking at the datasheet (don't know for sure its this part of course, I'm not the designer) if its this chip then it has glitch problems. So low-level performance would tend to suck rather.

Quote:
Judging by the pictures of the inside, it would appear to be a relatively simple circuit.
They say they've paralleled 4 per channel, so nothing too fancy happening.

Quote:
Just when you think you've heard it all, something comes along that's better.
Better than what though? Than a DAC designed for audio with low glitch energy at the zero crossings?
Old 27th August 2011, 06:33 AM   #6
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

you can run sabre ES9018/9012 in NOS mode at 32bit 1.5mhz
Old 27th August 2011, 06:35 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
What does 'NOS mode' mean here? Who has recorded material at 1.5MHz sample rate?
Old 27th August 2011, 07:11 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

dsd, in which case it would be played from 1bit. actually i'd have to check what the bit depth is at that rate, but the dac usually runs internally at 1.5mhz, normally it is upsampled and oversampled asynchronously, but you can run it without the OS filter ie NON OS in which case it will simply play at the speed of the incoming signal up to 1.5mhz. you need to then either slave it to the incoming clock, or run both transport and the dac from the same master clock

Last edited by qusp; 27th August 2011 at 07:16 AM.
Old 27th August 2011, 07:15 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Ah I see - but DSD's sample rate is 2.8MHz so presumably this has to be sub-sampled to play at 1.5MHz?
Old 27th August 2011, 07:25 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

i havent used it in this mode with any commitment, so i'm not clear on the detail, but afaik RayCtech runs his sabre design in this mode. i will revisit it when i start working on my own masterclock setup, as without a realy good clocking scheme you are opening the jitter floodgates using a clock piped in on the signal

i think there is a half speed and double speed DXD as well. i have seen rates from 1.4 up to 5.6mhz. i only mentioned it as the question was asked what chips can use this mode 24bit NOS and as you mentioned, i would much rather run a part designed for audio. the reviewed unit looks interesting enough, but in trying to shun the usual audiophile scenario, they have created their own. i mean do you really need that much smoothing in a dac with decent regulators?

Last edited by qusp; 27th August 2011 at 07:37 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!