ADC problem? waveform peaks wrap

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have an opamp driving a CS5361 ADC. The digital signal goes through some DSP and then out to a DAC and another opamp. My observation is that the waveform after the last opamp is clipped and fractions of the peaks are 'not in place.' It appears as if the waveform is wrapping around to the negative side. And if i decrease the input signal to a very small level the waveform suddenly is better.

I narrowed the problem down to the ADC. It was replaced and suddenly the waveform is fine now. But i would like to know what happened with the old ADC

I did some google seaches for the answer, but found no technical explanations ... orther than something about an ADC overflow and bad clocks.

Any ideas? What's going on?

I'm not really sure. I would have guessed that the DSP was responsible for the wrapping, since it is so terribly easy with most general-purpose processors to overflow a binary register and get that exact result. However, you say that you eliminated the DSP as a possible source and also that replacing the ADC solved the problem.

I do recall "from the old days" that certain forms of digital conversion were prone to overflow distortion, and also that newer chips have increasingly been designed to circumvent this problem. Unfortunately, I cannot remember exactly how overflow and wrap-around distortion is created in the conversion process.

There are many methods for ADC technology. The three that I can think of right away are successive approximation, flash conversion, and delta-sigma. There are surely other types. I would imagine the SA and flash converters would not wrap-around, but would simply hard-clip. Delta-sigma, though, could easily wrap around if the 1-bit to multi-bit accumulator was not protected against overflow.

Heading over to the Cirrus site for the CS5361 Product Data Sheet, I see that this chip uses delta-sigma technology. They claim that it has overflow detection, but apparently this is presented on a single output pin, regardless of whether the left or right channel is overflowing, and the output is held for a certain amount of time.

Did your circuit utilize the /OVFL output pin? I would imagine that you could attach this to a front-panel LED with the appropriate current limiting resistor, and then you would have an indication of a problem. With this chip, it seems that the only fool-proof method of operation is to have a human operator manually turn down the input gain until the OVFL is no longer triggered. You might also want some kind of latch circuit in case the operator looks away long enough to miss a distortion event, and then provide a button to clear the OVFL Hold.

Sounds to me that someone's not using saturating arithmetic in the digital signal processing. For a replacement ADC to fix your problem that would indicate there's different DSP algorithms within the two chips. Have you talked to Cirrus to see if they've revised the chip since your first one?

Thanks for the detailed responses!

I just chked my schematic and it turns out the original design doesn't use the /OVRFL pin. It is NC. We haven't had to use that feature (in the product here at my work) but that would've definitely indicated overflow. I've seen other faults in the board but never this one, so I thought i'd ask here.

I'm not sure i understand Abraxalito's post ... "indicate there's different DSP algorithms within the two chips..." The signal chain is as follows: opamp -> CS5361 ADC -> DSP -> DAC -> opamp ... I don't see two chips here with different DSP algo's .. Am I missing something?

At any rate, replacing the original (problematic) CS5361 with another CS5361 solved the problem somehow. I guess the ADC just happened to be DOA.

Thanks guys!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.