2 2x4 or 1 2x8 MiniDSP

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have 3 channels I need to cross over and eq: Mid, High, and Sub. I just need a simple XO for the mids and possibly a little extra EQ, but not much. For the sub, however, I need an XO, Linkwitz Transform, and Parametric EQ to run it correctly. I'm not sure whether the MiniDSP 2x8 will be able to store all the settings I need, which is why I'm considering buying two of the 2x4's. Two 2x4's is also $100 less than a 2x8, and I don't really need the balanced option since I don't have any balanced inputs on my amps. I also don't think I'll notice a difference between the 48KHz and the 96KHz sampling rates. Is there any reason to spend the extra $100 on the 2x8? Another advantage of the 2x4's is that they're overall a lot smaller and will be able to fit in a smaller and less expensive rack enclosure. Which should I buy?

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I am currently using 2 2x4 and they really work very well, but will go for a 2x8 in the near future for several reasons:

• only one USB connection. If you only want to do a little change (e.g. changing the gain of a PEQ) you always have to connect the first miniDSP, do the change, disconnect the first and connect the second miniDSP and do the change again.
  • Up to four presets can be stored: e.g. Movie, Linear, Loudness.
  • IR remote control function (in the future)
  • higher spec'ed ADC/DAC and 96 kHz

after looking better you will only need the 2x8 to make a 4 way crossover at 96khz, 100$ cheaper than the 8x8 , it enables you to combine left and right signal to a single input like LFE or connect to analog stereo RCA of your subwoofer , i dont know if you can but i can ear the difference between 48/96/192. if you buy the mini digi 40$ you can have all digital signal till minidsp then analog to the amps and sub.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.