My Perfect DAC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I just wrote a complete story about who I am and that I'm new to the forum and the reason why I'm starting this tread and everything.... But somehow the text went lost.....

So, I will keep it short for now.

I want to built a DAC.
I'm very interested in the layout of the Audio-gd NFB-7 and -8.
I'm also very interested in the Burson DAC 160D.

Would it be that simple to buy the Burson components, put them in a case I like and build it with the layout of the NFB-7?....

I have many more questions but they can wait for now :)

Many thanks in advance!

Jordo

Here I am again,

I noticed that most of the time only the layout of the DAC is described and discussed. Almost no one speaks about the performance.
For me there is little chance that I can audition an Audio-gd or a Burson without buying one.
So I decided to take my V-DAC with upgraded OpAmps, Capacitors and Power Supply as a refference and anything better will be an improvement.

When I was thinking of how a DAC would look like if I would build it myself, I thought that I would have it build two times mono in a 17" black casing and with an overkill on powersupply's. That's nearly exactly how the Audio-gd is build.
The only strange thing in my eyes is that the 3 times powersupplies are in front of the DAC as where the powersocket is in the back... unlogical I guess.
Also I wonder why he has used R-type transformers instead of 0-type or Toroidal.

If I'm right the Burson uses a Low Jitter Clock and the Audio-gd uses a low jitter chip.... What can be said about the dis- and advantages of one other?

best regards,

Jordo

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Just on the Power transformer types, Toroidal are a bad choice for a low level device like a DAC, and the best as far as I gather from discussions across the web, is the R-core types.

Myself, I have used a EI-core transformer, apparently not as good as a R type, but much better than a Toroidal.

Thx Data,

That's one plus extra for the Audio-gd design than.
I found a treat on another forum:

R-cores theoretically offer less capactive coupling between primary and secondary (less noise getting through) than toroids. Offer better efficiency than EI cores. Sort of most of the advantages of both without the penalties of both.

So Toroids are still the most effevtive transformers but R-types creates even less EMI....

That's a good thing :)

Anyone who can help me with the Jitter thing?
What is more preferable; A Low Jitter Clock or a Chip?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.